Buy or wait (iMac 5K)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lancastor, Dec 24, 2015.

1. lancastor macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping for a completly new iMac design in 2016. Do you think a new iMac is coming in 2016? Or are you expecting only a spec. bump in the next iMac model?

2. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

We just had a completely new design a few years ago. Next couple releases will likely be spec bumps.

If you need it now, buy it now. You can always sell it later, Macs hold their resale value well.

3. zacster macrumors member

MacRumors (this website) rates the iMacs a "Buy Now" as they are new and not likely to be replaced for about a year. There will always be something new coming, but at some point you just have to buy. I myself am going to buy a 5k this weekend or next week. Always buy the best you can afford to fight off obsolescence.

4. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

The 5K is well, well worth it and will likely see just spec bumps that will increase performance and such by around 10% next year. However, the 4K iMac is not worth getting as it will be updated to Skylake next year with a much better iGPU. As for a redesign, not likely, but in reality, no one knows if they will ever get rid of the chin or give us a touch screen iMac (though not likely)

5. lancastor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your help.

I ordered the iMac with an 256GB SSD.

6. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

My arms are getting tired thinking of this idea. I'd never buy such a thing, not that Apple would ever make one.

7. zacster macrumors member

I have a Lenovo X1 Carbon Touch and I never even think to use the touchscreen. It sounds like a good idea until you have one. I also have an older iPad (3rd gen I think) and it is just natural to use the touchscreen, not that you have a choice. So different form factors make for different uses.

Besides, who wants fingerprints all over their beautiful 27" 5k display? Now, a motion detecting non-touch interface would be nice...

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No one knows if it will be a mere spec bump or a brand new model. I suspect not too much will be added to the 2016 model, but that's just my gut feel.

Looks like I'm a little late to the thread - congrats :)

9. Serban Suspended

if apple will make a redeisgn into the macbook pro than probably will do to imac too..last imac and macbook pro redesign are from the same year 2012