Buy or Wait - iPad 2

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rookie1986, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

I'm thinking of treating myself to a tablet for work, as far as I know the iPad 2 ticks all of my needs (email, internet, pdf reader etc) but I'm unsure if I should buy the current edition or wait for the next update to see what extras it brings.

2. jmpnop macrumors 6502a

jmpnop

There'll be no new iPad before March 2012, if you want one now go ahead and buy it.

3. JonasDK macrumors member

I would also say buy it now. It sounds like the current version covers your needs just fine.

4. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

5. ryanaaaah macrumors newbie

wait the ipad3 in 2012 and get the cut off price for ipad2, and then you will raise another post here about asking which one should you buy, LOL
    Get it now dude

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

7. blunti macrumors 6502a

or perhaps wait until they release the ipad3 and then ask if you should buy that or wait for the ipad4...

8. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

wait for the iPad 3 or get a android tablet as they are starting to overtake the iPad

9. punchdrunk55 macrumors member

I have an LG chocolate right now and im buying an iphone 5 when it comes out. Wrong person to ask

10. foodog macrumors 6502a

foodog

Maybe in Bizzaro world they are. In our shared reality Android tablets aren't.

11. MacHamster68, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

:D we live in a bizzaro world you forget , and in a advancing recession too still far away from its peak (trust me on that one or face the facts when USA /UK/Germany/....gets a C rating )
    so anything thats cheaper is welcome , as we soon need that money to buy essential things like bread and butter
    and yes i am a optimist but only because a close family member has a very self sufficient Farm

Common sense tells us that the things of the earth exist only a little, and that true reality is only in dreams.
    Charles Baudelaire

so its a fact All Apple products are only made for about 12 month then they get improved or ? , so why spend double the cash to buy something thats totally outdated next year , the only reason is because we like it , but that has absolute nothing to do with reality

12. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

That's goes for many manufacturers. The computer and cell phone industries are fast-moving industries, and there's always going to be newer and better hardware the moment you buy something. Also, it's not a fact that all Apple products are made for about 12 months and get improved. Case in point--the iPhone 4.

You wanna look Android products getting outdated? I have the Samung Epic 4G. The new Samung Epic 4g Touch is rumored to come out in October. That's a little more than a year, yeah, but I'm still running on Froyo, while plenty of other devices are already running on Gingerbread AND some devices are already getting the Ice Cream Sandwich update later this year. And no I don't root because if my phone bricks (like it has twice for me when rooted), it voids the warranty. Like you said, it's tough times, so I'm not gonna void that warranty when I should be getting this update like everyone else is and has. In case you can't tell, I'm a little peeved by that :D

Anyway, the iPad 2 16gb Wi-Fi is a hundred dollars more than 16GB Acer or Asus tablets. I don't know the OP's financial situation, but if he's considering buying an iPad 2, is it really all that more expensive that we have to seriously consider the state of the economy? Aside from that, if you can justify the $100 price difference between two completely different products, then I'd like to hear it. :)

13. MacHamster68, Aug 26, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

thats very simple to answer $100 and they are not different tablet is tablet no matter what brand or OS , , just let me know what you can do with a iPad what you cant do with a tablet from ASUS ..
    at very least the ASUS still supports flash, while the iPad says Flash is dead ...ok that might be the case , but i tumbled just recently over some flash based websites unable to be properly displayed ona iPad of a mate , i would never waste that amount on a tablet , i bought a original iBook G3 466mhz for £25 and surprise it has the same problems with flash based websites , so thats what i call advancing technology ten years later and still the same flaws

and rooting works great, if you know how too even without problems , who cares about warranty on a tablet or phone , they are just throw away items in my book , use them if they break so be it.. i am pragmatic and buy what gets the job done when i need it , not for some future events that might happen eventually ...i think about those later

Pragmatism means that we look at our own behaviors and ideas and ask ourselves—Do they work? Are they getting us to where we want to go? Pragmatism and flexibility go hand in hand, because the world keeps changing around us.

14. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

I feel like you're contradicting yourself here. In your previous post, you said because of the recession, anything cheaper is welcome. Yet, you say that $400 devices are throwaway items so screw warranties? Maybe you can replace a bricked tablet 6 months after buying it, but that's not what I call pragmatism. Really though, calling phones and tablets worth hundreds of dollars "throwaways" isn't pragmatic--it's gaudy.

I know some people that use their tablets as pretty much devices for schooling and work rather than web-browsing. Pages, Numbers, Note Taker HD/Penultimate, Airprint, etc., are great for the work-oriented individual. As a gaming device, the iPad and iPhone blow the Android's gaming market out of the water (actually just Apple's App Store, in general).

Androids have plenty of good widgets and other utility applications. I personally like Swype, Swipe Pad, Dolphin Browser (mainly for the gesture support), and my Android Agenda widget. I also like the variety of apps the Android can have. Trust me, I think Android has many good devices (I personally like the Galaxy 10.1 and the Toshiba Thrive), but their market hasn't really caught up yet. There's a lot of free apps, which is awesome, but outside of widgets, I feel that the overall quality is a notch lower than Apple's. I'd give them a year or two, before I compare them again because I think they'll step up.

Furthermore, you have to speak to the level of the user. I work at a major electronics retailer, and when non-tech-savvy customers demo both Android tablets and the iPad, they easily find themselves doing things and navigating the iPad more intuitively than Android tablets. Furthermore, iPad customers with troubleshooting questions usually say, "Oh I could've figure that out," after I help them. Non-savvy Android users just end up having more questions and overwhelmed. To users like us, figuring out these new devices is like second nature. However, those unable to do so, like you said, want it to just work and would pay extra knowing that it does.

15. wiimixer macrumors newbie

wiimixer

Get one!

Wake up without a terrible sense of regret??? :)

To the original poster, Rookie1986?, I'd say this. I have the original iPad. Sure, the iPad 2 is better, but the gap between them is tiny when compared to that between ANY iPad and NO iPad.

If you can afford one, get one!

16. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I'd go ahead and get the iPad 2. You can enjoy it now and if the iPad 3 has some cool new features you want you can sell it and upgrade.

17. Buildbright macrumors 6502a

Sad part is no one can make a tablet that can compare to the iPad 1. Sad part is the iPad will have hands over fist better integration over other tablets for a long time. Not to mention apps tablets like computers live and die buy software. Web apps are becoming more common but there is a lot of junk saas out there. Not to mention sometimes we are just not connected to the web or have a slow connection. Any tablet competition has a couple years before it can even start to fight the iPad. Best thing now is just to start to build a brand buy taking the iPad left overs.