Buy or wait: Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matzel88, Mar 9, 2009.

  1. matzel88 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #1
    Hey guys,

    I recently thought about buying the Macbook Pro with 2.66ghz, which has just been updated. But honestly I do not need the Macbook at the very present moment, therefore I thought about waiting for Snow Leopard and an update of the GPU?

    Do you think the GPU will be updated this year? This would be a major reason for me to wait for an update.
    Or will there be a major update concerning the battery?

    Thank you very much in advance.

    Greetings from Germany.


    In addition: Is warranty voided by chaning the HDD on my own? I'd lik to order the MBP with the 250GB HDD and replace it by a WD 500GB.
     
  2. matzel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #2
    Is there no one, who can help me?

    I realise that there is no one able to make concrete prognoses, but does switching the HDD void warranty?

    I regularly read about persons changing their harddrive on their own, but I would not like to lose warranty.
     
  3. zer0tails macrumors 65816

    zer0tails

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2008
    Location:
    Canada
    #3
    you will not void the warranty changing the harddrive by yourself.

    I doubt we'll see an updated GPU or Apple to switch to a sealed non-removable battery. That would upset a lot of people.

    The only reason to wait is for mobile Nehalem but that will be a long wait because if i'm not wrong it'll come out end of year/early next year.
     
  4. 11800506 macrumors 65816

    11800506

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2007
    Location:
    Washington D.C. Area
    #4
    I would wait for Snow Leopard if wouldn't purchase it separately since it will be a worthy update. Other than that though, there likely won't be another refresh any time soon, especially with the mild spec bump we've seen. The next logical CPU update is, like the other poster said, mobile Nehalem which last I heard was delayed for Q1 2010, so it would be a bit of a wait.
     
  5. matzel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #5
    Thank you for your pieces of advice, I think I'll wait for Snow Leopard probably coming together with a slight CPU/HDD upgrade.
    Isn't it quite difficult to open the unibodies and change the HDD?


    Is there any bag you can recommend? I thought of buying Crumpler Hard Suit.
     
  6. SamNeeds macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2007
    #6
    Given all the fuss they've made about the current GPU I doubt they'd change it anytime soon.
     
  7. andrew upstairs macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2009
    Location:
    Downtown Los Angeles
    #7
    No. It's very easy.
     
  8. matzel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #8
    Another question:
    Is it possible to order a MBP with German keyboard layout in UK or USA?
     
  9. impakt1 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    #9
    pretty sure the answer here is no but i could be wrong, very wrong.
     
  10. matzel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #10
    I have already checked the online Apple Store, but there was no possibility to order a German keyboard layout. But I once heard that there is the possibility either by ordering via telephone or visiting a local Apple Store.

    Anyone from UK/US here, who can check this out?
    Ordering in UK would save me more than 280€.
     
  11. bigjnyc macrumors 601

    bigjnyc

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2008
    #11
    I really dont think there will an update any time soon with the recent speed bump. As for the GPU I dont see Apple changing it anytime soon with all the hype and the snow leopard compatibility around it. That being said I ordered my 2.66ghz MBP last night. cant wait :D
     
  12. matzel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #12
    Lucky you.
    With a bit of effort, it is possible to order a Macbook Pro with a German keyboard layout in GB. Therefore I will have to wait in order to save €s.
     
  13. mloewe macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2007
    #13
    @matzel88: how can you order a german keyboard layout in the UK store?
    i haven't found that BTO option.

    i am from austria, so does ordering a MB from the UK store give me warranty in austria?

    greetings,
    mloewe
     
  14. matzel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #14
    I contacted the German Apple Store, because you cannot contact a foreign Apple Store from abroad.
    A guy said that he could order it for me by replacing the British model with a German model in the order itself, but it can only be delivered to an adress in GB or to a British Apple Store of your choice.
     
  15. matzel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #15
    Short update:
    A friend of mine contacted the British apple store; it is indeed possible to order Macbooks and Macbook Pros with German keyboard layout. However you have to place the order using the telephone.
     
  16. matchsmart macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2009
    #16
    How old is the Mac Pro 2.99Ghz? Well, by experience most of them Mac or PC alway update GPU yearly. If that Mac Pro is a year old I am sure their will be a newer model this year, better wait.
     
  17. matzel88 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2009
    #17
    No Mac Pro in this thead. :)

    Ordered MBP today for 1450pounds+57pounds for Apple Care. Cheap, isn't it? :D
     
  18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #18
    If you need it now, get it now. If you can afford to wait, then wait for more features, upgraded hardware, software, etc., at the same price point.

    If you've got a good torx set, you can swap the hard drive out in less than five minutes and not void your warranty.
     

Share This Page