Buy or Wait on MP purchase

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by roca250, Jul 17, 2007.

1. roca250 macrumors newbie

I want to buy a new mac pro to replace my 1.8mhz G5. While all I use it for is Itunes, Imovie and Idvd which means a considerable upgrade from what I have, I still wonder if I should wait until next upgrade or not. When should we expect an upgrade to the MP? Or in another scenario, should I wait until they come with Leopard already installed?

2. termina3 macrumors 65816

If you aren't using it for only those apps, you shouldn't be getting a Mac Pro. You won't see any benefit over an iMac or MacBook Pro.

That said, if I were in your shoes I would wait until 10.5 came out, but I wouldn't expect a major Mac Pro overhaul before that happened... or really, anytime within the next 6-8 months. The iMac is a different story, however.

3. cwc123188 macrumors regular

I would suggest you getting an iMac as well because you don't seem to be using Pro Apps and therefore getting a Mac Pro is just a waste of money.:)

4. roca250 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response guys. I understand what you are saying, but, wouldn't the faster chips and video cards aid in the processing of imovie plug ins and idvd, specifically rendering menus and all? Would a mac pro do this faster than a current imac? In addition, would it be faster also in converting dvd's to mp4 or avi's to qt? Those are my general uses basically.

5. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Of course it would help roca, but the real question, is whether or not the extra oomph is worth the extra cost. That is something ultimately you would have to decide.

If you do heavy iMovie, and I mean HEAVY, yeah there is no reason not to get a Mac Pro. You will save time. If you are doing this for money, heck yeah, it will allow you to do more jobs.

Just realize the added cost since you would need a display and you would most likely need a few HDs as well as a few GBs of RAM. After market of course to save some cash. And you would need a display of course. But you might have one you want to use.

The idea of "pro apps" and "consumer apps" is a ridiculous notion. Since the iMac and the Mac Pro can run both, the Mac Pro in some cases of course. But it is all about how much time you want to save and how much you want to spend or save. I think people assume that "i-apps" mean consumer and thus you need a consumer machine.

The Mac Pro offers more power and upgradeablity, the iMac, well you know.

Here are benchmarks to give you an idea of what to expect over an iMac. I will get some more benchmarks when I have time.

http://www.macintouch.com/reviews/macpro/benchmarks.html