Buy or wait - your answer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mickoin, Aug 24, 2008.

  1. mickoin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2008
    #1
    Should I wait until the core i7 generation or buy now?

    I'm talking MacPro's here - will the current ones drop in price come nehalem? Is it worth it?
     
  2. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

    Chris Rogers

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Location:
    my house
    #2
    if you NEED it, get it.
    If you WANT it, wait.
     
  3. acearchie macrumors 68040

    acearchie

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2006
    #3
    Like the above poster says only buy if you absolutely want it!

    Im like you on buying a new generation! Ive been sitting on the fence for almost a year and a half waiting for the next update! I think January I might get the Macbook Pro I want!
     
  4. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2004
    Location:
    Florida
    #4
    What do you want to use it for? That would be the best information to use to determine whether you should buy or wait.
     
  5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #5
    Couldn't agree more.

    Very likely the current models will drop in price, but one cannot state that as definitive fact, only as likely conjecture. Only you can decide what is "worth" it, because, as SDLSteve points out, it all depends on what you want to do with the computer; your needs will determine the nature of your purchase. Cheers and good luck.
     
  6. jTreu macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    #6
    what are you using right now? without knowing that i'd have to say you need to figure out if its a need or want.
     
  7. mickoin thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 16, 2008
    #7
    i'd say that it's definitely a want right now - my Macbook Pro is working fine with my graphics/ video programs.
    The Mac Pro would simply be faster and more of a render beast - plus i can get multiple displays etc etc.
     
  8. THX1139 macrumors 68000

    THX1139

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    #8
    You obviously haven't been spanked by the revision monster!

    A few years ago, I needed a new computer. I bought what I thought was a top-of-line blue and white G3 (remember those?). I got the computer and 3 weeks later Apple released the G4 desktop for $200 less than what I paid for my end-of-line G3. Yeah... I know, progress is progress... but I thought I got totally burned on that deal. Yeah... I could use the G3 just fine, but that G4 was at least 3 times faster for less money! And, in those days, I didn't know about Ebay to dump my G3 on.

    So, I learned my lesson. I always see what's going on in the market and evaluate the rumors before I pull out my credit card. If there is a good chance of a substantial update/revision, I'll do my best to hold off... or if I absolutely need a new machine, I'll rent or borrow something to hold me over for a month or two. I even keep an old G4 laptop around just in case I need a fall back machine.

    In the case of the Mac Pro, I don't see a substantial update/revision until next spring when Nehalem comes around mainstream. As for a Macbook Pro... I wouldn't buy one of those unless there was a fire-sale on them. They have defective GPUs and we are only a month or so from seeing an update on those (based on Apple history and what is going on in the chip market).
     

Share This Page