Buy or wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brownie1985, May 12, 2012.

1. brownie1985 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

I am new to Mac's and looking to purchase my first one and after some advice, with the rumours at the moment of a new release possibly June/July of the Macbook pro I am not sure to wait or dive in?

Ideally I would be rather a 13" Macbook pro, something portable, the current model seems to be ideal. I work in IT so having a Ethernet Port and Optical drive are very useful, I have read if the rumours are right that the new Pro models could be without these? I would be using the MBP to run some virtual machines and networks for my IT certification's I am refreshing and 13" MBP mean easily carrying to and from work and casing seems my better than plastic laptop for chucking in a bag on the move.

If the new model's are to be like the Macbook Air can you buy USB ethernet port adaptors to meet my spec's? I would upgrade the RAM and if bought the current model would run my vm's from a SSD external drive, but I guess it would be worth waiting for Intel's Ivy bridge?

Just don't know what to do any advice or opions would be great

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'd wait a little bit, the new models should be released soon. If they're redesigned and you're unhappy with it, you'll still be able to pick up a refurbished older generation(what's current now) model with a discount.

3. brownie1985 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks, seems a sound idea to wait, guess I won't be missing out on something cool. Have heard good things of refurbished macs, whats a few months to wait :D

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

No, the new MacBooks will not be missing the Ethernet port...

They're very likely to be missing the optical bay, however. I'd go with a refurbished one now if the missing optical bay thing bothers you.

And yes, you'd be able to use the Ethernet port adapter.

I'm waiting, personally. It's up to you.