Buy or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vjicecool, Jul 3, 2012.

1. vjicecool macrumors 6502

Have the MBA 13 inch 2.0 ghz in mind
    Is there a chance that Apple will release Retina MBP late 2012

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Anything is possible, but I consider it highly unlikely that you'll see a refresh in any of the MBAs for 2012.

If you can wait and don't need to buy one, then its always safer but I don't think we'll see anything soon

3. vjicecool thread starter macrumors 6502

Good advice
    On the other hand
    DO you guys think the prices will be little lower for thanksgiving day

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, apple typically has a small discount (50 to 150 I think) on black Friday.

5. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Did you mean a retina mba? if so, that will be a while since current technology would not allow them to put that screen on such a small frame b.c the requirements

6. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Unlikely in my opinion as well... Buy now and never look back ;)

----------

But they managed to put it into a smaller one, ha? Does iPad 3 or iPhone 4S ring a bell? Sorry, your affirmation is not accurate at all... from a technical point of view it's definitely possible, but from a business point of view, it's would be plain dumb. No one will be seeing a retina MBA anytime soon...

7. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Whats your basis for that statement? What makes you think a retina MBA won't happen any time soon?

I think its perfectly reasonable. The current MBAs already have fairly high DPI, whereas the 15" MBP has the lowest DPI, so they might change the resolution again and then double it.

I expect the larger size of the 15" retina pro is to accomodate bigger batteries for more powerful CPU, discrete GPU.

Apple seems to clearly be on a mission to roll out high DPI displays to all their products. It may take time since they're pushing the boundaries of what can be done with display technology, but it looks like the trend they're on.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

there is a big difference between what powers a macbook air and what powers an ipad. ****, they even used the wrong graphics card for the current retina b.c it struggles with the retina

9. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

I did not say they will NEVER roll out retina displays for all their products... but considering that just recently updated the products, rolled out the 15" retina macbook pro that is seemingly having some issues ( not to mention that although it's retina, the average user still has to scale it down to approx 1440x900 screen real-estate to be usable / readable ).

Why would you now launch a retina display MBA? At what price? Same or really close the the 15" in retina? Would be then stop buying the 15" retina? There is really so much obvious business shebang going on here that debating it would just result into one huge post that many people would still not understand...

But then again, do as you please... Wait for the retina MBA, it will surely come at one point in time, but IMO not anytime soon.

----------

It's not the GPU that it's struggling... There you're wrong and you've just bought a big load of bull that you've read on this and many other forums.

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

that i read from an accredited critic, but you are right
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/6023/the-nextgen-macbook-pro-with-retina-display-review/

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Agreed. Given that the MBA was updated three weeks ago it's very unlikely that there would be a significant change before 2013.

Classic advice still applies: "If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't need it now, wait until you need it."

12. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Agreed there won't be another update this year, but interesting to imagine what next years update may have.

- bigger, cheaper SSD
    - Retina display
    Seems that CPU speed isn't going up much any more. Maybe a little faster, or quad core option.

My personal favorite is wondering when Apple will come out with a converged iPad/MBA device. I'm thinking a 10.7" display, can run iOS and Mac OS apps. Have use one of the many Bluetooth keyboard covers. It may be an ARM device running Mac OS ported to ARM and running current Mac apps in emulation while running iOS apps native.

13. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

i dunno, that is what windows is trying to do with windows 8 and it looks awful, IMO

14. kodeman53 macrumors 65816

Yes, they will. I suggest you wait until Thanksgiving(Black Friday), or Christmas, to buy. Odds are Apple will have some kind of sale around one of these major holidays. If not, it will only be a few short months until the 2013 MBAs will be announced which will make the 2012 MBAs even cheaper. So, all things considered, wait until at least the holidays but set aside next May as another good time to purchase.

15. dmelgar macrumors 68000

Agreed. I would have thought apple would come out with it sooner, but Microsoft will give it a bad name, so Apple may postpone this for several years. But I think it's inevitable.

16. VinnyV macrumors member

To answer the OP i would get one right now like what I'm doing, probably if you can wait a while for discounts like the above posters said.
    unlikely for a retina display air, i mean air i just don't think has enough power to fully function a retina display properly. if apple did it wouldn't be as impressive as one might think.:D

17. calvol macrumors 6502a

I don't think Retina will come to MBA's after seeing the teething problems with the RMBP-- the hardware just isn't there yet, especially for the MBA platform with limited battery and space for a dGPU. Best you'll see on a MBA is a 1080p screen like Asus came out with IMO. I would wait for the 2012 refurbs to show up in Sept/Oct though to buy one.

18. mikeray macrumors regular

If you are looking to buy an Air, I would go for it now. The system is quite mature at this point. The 2012 airs are fast!

If you are thinking of retina though, I would say hold off till Rev 2, it is only going to get better.

19. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Yup. Apple discounts a few of their Macs every year, usually the iMac, MBA, and MBP.

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

Google "Apple Black Friday 2011" or prior years. Plenty of info on what's gone before.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/25...list-of-discounts-on-apple-products-and-more/
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/25/black-friday-2010-major-discounts-on-apple-and-mac-products/

If they do the same thing again, one would save $100 on a 13" Macbook Air by waiting five months, or about $20 per month. Speaking for myself, that's not worth waiting half a year.

The kick-a$$ deal was last summer though, 20% off 2011 Macbook Air models via Amazon.com and Kindle Special Offers. See http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1206473

I'd be rather surprised if they repeated that one though.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Intel will probably release a slight multiplier bumped processor mid-cycle. Apple may decide to spec bump it with the slightly faster processor. You won't see a design of the Retina MacBook Pro though…