Buy Or Wait

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Dave245, Jun 21, 2014.

  1. Dave245 macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2013
    #1
    Ok, so i've been thinking about getting a Macbook Air 13" for a little while now. Today i went to a PC world store here in the UK, to take a look at the Air, i was impressed with it's lightness and it's speed (from what i managed to test in store, web browsing). As i was looking at the Air i was approached by a sale assistant who asked if i wanted help, i explained that i was looking into getting the Air for university, due to portability and the 12 hour battery life, she then told me that i should wait a few months, as Apple will be updating the Macbook Air, probably with a retina display. Do you think its worth waiting? if Apple does update the Macbook Air this year, will it be a major update? I plan on waiting until around later August early September anyway because of Apple's back to school promotion.

    While i was in the store i also took a look at the Macbook Pro with retina display, and from the short time i took web browsing and looking at the home screen, i really didn't think that i could see a major difference from the Macbook Pro 2011 display that i currently have. Maybe it was because it was in store and i only managed a few minutes looking at the machine. However it did seem lighter than the one i currently have.
     
  2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

    T5BRICK

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2006
    Location:
    Oregon
    #2
    I'm not sure where the salesperson got her information. Based on the fact that Apple just updated the MBA line with new processors and lower prices in late April, I doubt we'll see any updates until late this year or early next year.

    I guess they could add the retina display. There isn't a whole lot of options for faster CPUs at the moment, and the price recently dropped. You can wait and see since you're planning on waiting anyway.
     
  3. yosemit macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2013
    #3
    It really depends, and only you can make the decision.

    I would choose to wait. 12" retina MBA is almost perfect. No one can guarantee, but it's very likely the 12" will be out in Q4 this year.

     
  4. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2012
    #4
    I'd normally be all in on the "wait" train but I have serious questions about how well the purported Retina MBA will run if they don't bump up the base specs. Also, you always have to be concerned about the first generation of any product as remember the iPad 3 being retina and actually running worse than the iPad 2 because of the underpowered processor.
     
  5. Meister Suspended

    Meister

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2013
  6. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

    Yebubbleman

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #6
    If you have a 2011 MacBook Pro, then, unless your needs are really demanding, you probably don't need a new machine yet. But since you're asking anyway, no, the MacBook Airs are safe to buy as April's change in the line was technically considered an update and thusly, we're still early in the MacBook Air's refresh cycle. MacBook Pros are probably due for an update soon (anytime between now and September). Though for them it might be delayed until Broadwell given that there's not much else they can upgrade in it (maybe the discrete graphics in the high-end model, but that's really it).
     
  7. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2013
    #7
    MBA lineup got updated recently (even if it's a tiny upgrade), get it if you need it.

    If you think you can get by without it, then wait.
     
  8. friedkimchi macrumors regular

    friedkimchi

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2011
    #8
    Have you considered putting in a SSD+more RAM in your current machine?

    Unless the battery life is of utmost importance, I wouldn't recommend getting the MBA.

    You have a more than capable laptop to last you till the next generation of Apple laptops with Broadwell.
     
  9. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2013
    #9
    It has been suggested to me that i should buy a detachable keyboard for my iPad, and wait until the updated MBA are released. My Macbook pro 2011 still works great and the battery count is still under "good" so i may wait and see. Because i'm going to be updating my iPad to the iPad Air 2 when its released i may see if it's capable to use at uni to take notes. That way i can keep my MBP 2011 for a couple more years since there is nothing wrong with it.

    As for putting my own SSD in, i personally wouldn't even attempt it, since i know nothing about the internals of computers.
     
  10. capathy21 macrumors 65816

    capathy21

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Location:
    Houston, Texas
    #10
    It's really as easy as turning a few screws and unplugging one cable from the old HD and plugging it into the new. There are a host of youtube video's showing it. It's a simple upgrade that will make a world of difference for your machine.
     
  11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

    Scepticalscribe

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2008
    Location:
    The Far Horizon
    #11
    In essence, if you need a new computer, I would suggest that you buy it now. If, however, you merely want it, waiting sounds a more reasonable strategy.





    This post makes a number of excellent points.

    We don't know for certain whether or not a new MBA is due out later this year, least of all whether or not this will offer the Retina feature, or seek to emulate the fabled 12" Apple computers of yore.

    Moreover, as HarryWarden has already pointed out, almost invariably, a new version of anything requires a fair bit of tweaking, and may suffer from early 'teething' problems; personally, I would always wait at least six months after the introduction of a new technology, in order to give the manufacturers time to sort out any early problems with the product.
     
  12. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2013
    #12
    I don't think its a matter of "need" I think more a case of "want" and maybe make life easier, for example the whole idea of getting one was because its lighter than my MacBook Pro and the battery life is better. But over all I don't need one because my MacBook Pro 2011 still works fine, and I'm only about 200 battery cycles in because I mainly use it plugged in.
     
  13. flynz4 macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #13
    I would personally wait till the fall. I've personally gone back and forth between the 11" and 13" as I buy my new MBA each year. I want to see what the 12" looks/feels like.

    /Jim
     
  14. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
  15. Kryckter macrumors 6502

    Kryckter

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2009
    #15
    Give it fall, it will be worth waiting. Well, that is only if history repeats itself and we get some updates and maybe new devices this fall.

    Good luck!
     
  16. didactic macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2014
    #16
    I originally was in between the 13 inch rmbp 2.4 ghz, 256gb, 8gig and a 13inch mba 1.4, 256gb, 8 gig,

    I missed the boat on the previous 100 dollar off MBA sale. But im still consdering just downgrading to a 13inch MBA 128gb and 4 gig for the 950 - (150 student) - (10% movers) for around 780 with tax.

    Doesn't seem to make sense to get the full MBA or rMBP 8gig and 256gb when the other air is coming out soon and broadwell chip is due later this year. I can use a 64gb card for more hard drive space.

    I need a new laptop soon and the bestbuy education discount and movers seems like the most bang for the buck currently. Although I'm a bit worried as I need to access virtual machines fairly frequently.

    Thoughts?
     
  17. capathy21 macrumors 65816

    capathy21

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2014
    Location:
    Houston, Texas
    #17
    I think you would be fine on the base model MBA. I felt comfortable buying the MBA base model for the same reason. I didn't really want to sink a ton of money into this system if the new devices later in the year are just amazing.

    In my opinion unless you are sure you are going to use the machine for several years, paying for a maxed out or higher end machine means losing a lot more money in resale. Sure you would sell it for more, but more of a loss from what I observe.
     
  18. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2013
    #18
    I've decided to wait, mainly because of the possibility of a retina MBA but also because i'm unsure whether to get a MBA or a keyboard for my the iPad.

    And yea some updates would be nice :) personally i'm waiting for the new iPad and new MBA, after which i will make my decision whether to go with the MBA or a keyboard for the iPad.
     
  19. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

    Yebubbleman

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #19
    Again, I'm not sure why you're even considering replacing your computer. A third generation iPad to whatever replaces the current iPad Air this fall, I can understand. But any 2011 MacBook Pro will be more than adequate for note taking.
     
  20. Dave245 thread starter macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2013
    #20
    As I've said, it's about the battery life and portability. A 15" MacBook Pro isn't very portable to carry around, on and off the bus and around univeristy it weighs down, especially with other stuff in my bag. I agree it is more then capable to note take and more its just the portability I'm having issue with.
     
  21. Yebubbleman macrumors 68030

    Yebubbleman

    Joined:
    May 20, 2010
    Location:
    Los Angeles, CA
    #21
    I used to do that with a 17" PowerBook G4 and my school had tons of hills; a 2011 15" MacBook Pro somehow doesn't seem that bad to me. Still though, if you need more portability; just upgrade your iPad this fall. Boom. Then when it is naturally time to upgrade your MacBook Pro (~2016, if you got a 2.2/2.3GHz; next year if you got a 2.0GHz), buy an iMac and a MacBook Air to replace it.
     
  22. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

    Ronnoco

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2007
    Location:
    United States of America
    #22
    Good points Ss. I've been burned by being an early adopter and buying first model units with newer technology. Had problems and had to suffer with subpar performance while waiting for firmware updates. HATED that. If the OP is going to wait for the first model rMBA, like you, I'd advise waiting awhile to see if potential bugs need to be worked out...if it turns out there aren't any, we'll all know soon enough.
     

Share This Page