Buy or wait

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chanelli, Jun 13, 2015.

1. chanelli macrumors newbie

Hi! Future college student here. I'm looking to get a new laptop for the fall, and I saw that the new Macbooks Pros were just updated. I figure I may as well buy one now since it's new and all, but I also heard that Apple might refresh the MBP line with new intel processors sometime later this year.

With that in mind, two quick questions
    1. Are there likely to be new MBP's this fall?
    2. If there are, would the difference in processor quality be significant enough to justify waiting for the next generation? I'm not a power user (I play some mildly demanding games, but that's about it), but I did hear that there would be significant improvements to things like battery life, which could be very useful.

Thanks in advance.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hi,

Honestly, this has been beaten to death in this sub-forum recently. There is a sticky thread regarding Skylake and its rumored release - and most tend to think it will be early 2016 before Apple incorporates these chips into what they offer.

I would refer to similar posts here as well as the sticky that I mentioned. However, buy it now if you need it now, if not it would be wise to wait until you do. This is the most sensible advice that I can give.

I hope this helps.

3. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

I doubt it.

Skylake is supposed to bring some improvements to the GPU, but the CPU shouldn't be a huge change.

4. chanelli thread starter macrumors newbie

Did not see the sticky, will jump on that and peruse around it. Thanks for the help!

5. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

I would wait for the Back to School promotion, since you're student. The 15" might get Broadwell later this year, but I really couldn't see Skylake/major changes before next year. Especially with Fall/Winter being iDevice time.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Maybe - a lot of people are hoping that we'll see Skylake in the fall especially since the the 15" MBPs only got a minor spec bump last month.

[/quote]
    2. If there are, would the difference in processor quality be significant enough to justify waiting for the next generation? I'm not a power user (I play some mildly demanding games, but that's about it), but I did hear that there would be significant improvements to things like battery life, which could be very useful.
    [/QUOTE]
    Power, better gpu, faster processor. I don't have the specifics, buts what I hear so far.

The bottom line is you can wait, then wait. If you need one now, then buy it.