Buy or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by holger, Sep 18, 2017.

  1. holger macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2009
    #1
    Hi there,

    I still have an old Mid 2010 ("Edsel" as some call it here) 15" MacBook Pro.
    I quite like it, and it besides the worn battery and worn power cable it works quite well.
    But it's getting old (and the "Edsel" dual-GPU graphics glitches worse with each MacOS version).

    So I'm thinking of buying a new one. The main point is: currently, I'd get quite a big rebate through a university program.

    What I'm really missing in the current MacBook Pro 13" Touchbar is:
    - Magsafe
    - "big" USB port
    But I guess they are gone for good.

    Question is: would you buy now (rebate is valid until beginning of October) or wait e.g. for another 6 months?
    Is quadcore CPU the only feature that is expected in the next-gen MacBook Pro?

    Oh, and does the current generation MacBook Pro have any major glitches? I don't want to buy another Edsel Mac...
     
  2. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

    New_Mac_Smell

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2016
    Location:
    Shanghai
    #2
    If you need one now then buy it, if you can wait then wait. It's really that simple. If you buy it now and don't need it, when they release new models later next year (Anything is speculation at this stage, expect 20% power improvement) then you'll be miffed you didn't wait. On the other hand if you need it and wait, and they release only a small increment next year, you'll be miffed you just didn't buy one now and got some use of it for the last ~12 months.
     
  3. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2012
    #3
    I love my old 15" 2010 MBP. Threw in an SSD and 8GB of RAM and it suits me just fine. I'm just saying...
     
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    If you can save some money now, then definitely buy now.
     
  5. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #5
  6. Abaganov macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2016
    #6
    like the poster above me mention , there was just a release , so now is the best time possible to buy a new machine , of course next year it will be better , but how much that 10%-20% improvement in performance is going to effect your actual work flow ?

    In my opinion it's not likely the the 13 will get a quad core processor.

    And Yes - it seems like this generation have much less glitches then first gen
     
  7. andy9l macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2009
    Location:
    England, UK
    #7
    Even if it does, performance gains will remain similar to previous years. Intel themselves estimated "up to 30%", so we're realistically looking at 10-30% depending on thermal design.

    Same as every year.
     
  8. Fishrrman macrumors P6

    Fishrrman

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2009
    #8
    If you're going to wait, I wouldn't expect to see a new version of the MacBook Pro before (at least) March/April 2018 at the earliest.

    Can you "wait" that long?

    You also wrote that you liked Magsafe and wanted at least one "big" USB port (as in, "USB-a").

    In that case, you might consider either:
    - an Apple Refurbished 2015 design MacBook Pro 13" or 15"
    or
    - a new (these are still in production) 2015 design MacBook Pro 15".

    To see the 2015 MacBook Pro on Apple's store pages, you have to go to the MacBook Pro area, then click "buy", and then scroll down.

    Just to advise you that these options are still available.
     
  9. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

    ZapNZs

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2017
    #9
    Buy one today. A major change in the next 6 months seems next to impossible, and the current machines are running very well, and I agree that the 2017 has made some nice improvements over the 2016 that translate to a smoother experience. A quad core 13-inch may or may not happen with the next release - so for now I think it is best to assume it will not happen.

    As an added bonus, you will get one with Sierra instead of High Sierra, where you have the option of delaying the upgrade until all of the bugs are worked out of the new OS. Buy one a week from now and you don't have that option in the event some bug interferes with your productivity.
     
  10. Deane2000 macrumors member

    Deane2000

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2014
    Location:
    Southern California
    #10
    If you can get the discount now and will use the improved performance immediately, then go for it.
     
  11. SamVilde macrumors regular

    SamVilde

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2008
    Location:
    New York City
    #11
    I don't think you'll miss MagSafe. The trade off for being able to charge off any port - from either side! - is so great.

    And miss USB? I think it's great not having to check the cord to make sure I'm not trying to plug the cord in upside-down.

    It may be a hiccup of getting used to the change, and take you a minute to acquire the right cables so you never need a dongle, but I really don't think you'll miss those things a month after the switch. It took me about 3 days.
     
  12. 2IS macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2011
    #12
    Great feature that doesn't help when the devices you need to use are USB A
     
  13. mcpryon2 macrumors 6502a

    mcpryon2

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2008
    #13
    Do both. Buy one now and wait for the next one.
     
  14. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #14
    But cables are a couple of dollars and very few things have fixed cables that cannot be replaced quickly and cheaply anymore.
     

Share This Page

13 September 18, 2017