Buy or wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tipem, Apr 20, 2007.

1. tipem macrumors member

Hi guys,

I've waited around for Macs for a while and I've just recently seen that apparently things have been delayed until October (the release of Leopard I think?). Do you guys suspect that anything new and fancy will come out for (i)Macs any time soon? If not, I'm looking at 24-inch iMacs right now.

Generic purposes include: coding, web design, web development, running (lots) of programs at once ... needs to be fast
    * I don't do gaming

I'm just so sick of PCs. Windows magically decides to crash whenever it feels like it. Truth be told, Windows has a pretty solid core, it just gets extremely messy and slow when you install of your programs and try and run them. Windows is good... until you install something. :p

Sooo... do you think it'd be relatively safe to buy an iMac right now? Or should I wait? What are your thoughts and opinions on this? What do you think I should do?

Couple of questions about Macs:
    • How much faster is the 2.33 GHz processor compared to the 2.16 GHz? It it worth the extra couple hundred bucks?
    • Will 2gb of ram be sufficient for my purposes?
    Thanks a lot. :apple:

2. Applenewb macrumors member

What programs do you need to run at the same time?

Otherwise for what you listed the 2.16 should be more than enough. You should just buy now, there's nothing in any near term update that will affect you other than the rumor a redesign of the *look* might be in the works.

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They might get Santa Rosa which should arrive in June/July, generally the iMac gets it pretty early too, though even the Core Duo chip in my Macbook screams for coding (I don't do web though) and running applications, though I'd upgrade the RAM to 2GB as that will help a lot.

fwiw October is when Leopard is released, we have Tiger now.

TBH though the 2.16ghz machine will be fine.

4. sinstoic macrumors member

Leopard is the new OS that will be launched in October.

5. View macrumors regular

6. tipem thread starter macrumors member

What kind of programs? Web development programs (such as the Mac version of Photoshop - can be a hefty program) and code editors. Lots of other useful stuff too.

I'll also be doing some musical stuff with Ableton Live (nice sized program). Hope to do some recording (I'm a musician here). With Macs, there can be some pretty sweet set ups with recording and stuff if you have the right sound equipment.

Anyway -- YES! Don't have to wait any longer. The "new look" for Leopard wasn't really all that much of a change. Didn't spark too much interest. I'm probably gonna buy an iMac here pretty quick. The main thing is stability and Tiger is extremely stable and fast.

Is there any MAJOR, HUGE, or GLARING reason why I should not buy a Mac? Like what are the disadvantages (if any) of not waiting? Apple can't be doing *that* big of a thing.

Thanks guys. Any more comments? :apple:

7. Cepe Indicum macrumors regular

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh, but you're coming across a bit patronizing for a newbie... pretty sure long-standing members on this forum (of which there are many - and I'm not one by the way) know all about Macs and what they can do.

May I ask where you're getting this from? Are you just talking about the previous on Apple.com?

Agreed.

Can't really suggest any disadvantages. I'm a recent switcher, and would never go back to PC. I guarantee you won't be disappointed with a Mac. I'm an advocate of "buy what you need, when you need it!"