Buy or wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Definition, Jun 22, 2009.

  1. Definition macrumors newbie

    Jun 22, 2009
    I've been contemplating on whether to get the refurb 2.4Ghz ($1099.00) or the 2.26 or 2.53Ghz MBPs.

    The thing is, I don't need FW or SD, however, it would be nice to have it.

    I'd like to know whether it's better to buy the 2.4, or wait for a refurb MBP. I'd like to know what you would do.

  2. qacjared macrumors regular

    Jan 28, 2008
    I think it takes about 2 months for refubs to start appearing. No one can decide for you if it's better to buy or wait. The question that you need to decide is is getting FW800, and SD Slot, Ambient Keyboard, and the ability to use up to 8GB of ram worth it? Also if you wait till september is waiting to have snow leopard pre installed or included as a drop in disk worth it? Are you getting more from these 4 things than you would get from having a MB for the next 2-3 months?

    What you get by waiting:
    FW 800
    SD Slot <--Which you can boot from in emergencies
    Ability to have up to 8 GB of Ram
    If september or after Snow Leopard
    (Won't the refubs be slightly cheaper since the Base MBP is less than the Base MB was?)

    What you get by buying now:
    2 months of mac awesomeness
    Owning a Collector's Edition Mac Notebook
  3. Definition thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 22, 2009
    and 2 hours extra on the battery.

    I don't need it right now, since I'm going back to school in September, I guess I can get a cheap laptop, or a netbook.

    The thing is, before the introduction of the new macbooks, the 2.0 one was about $1100, now it's $950.

    I'm going to project that the 2.53 is $1350
  4. qacjared macrumors regular

    Jan 28, 2008
    That actually looks like a good deal. i'm tempted.
  5. qacjared macrumors regular

    Jan 28, 2008
    Actually I can beat that deal. If you're going back to school you qualify for the back to school promo right?

    Buy the base new MacBook Pro for $1099 and get the free iPod Touch
    Sell the iPod Touch for $200
    $1099-200=$899 for a new 13" MBP
  6. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

    Mar 4, 2008
    If you need it NOW, buy it NOW, if you can wait, and would like the features that the newer ones offer, then go ahead and wait.

    Too easy.

Share This Page