Buy Pages 09 now, or wait for a (possible) update?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macjolt, Jul 7, 2012.

1. macjolt macrumors member

Looking for a decent word processor, looking for something that preferably supports the review markup in Word (.doc). Looking at Pages 09 but I'm unsure if it'll get updated soon enough - afraid that it won't be free.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

Although it's not the prettiest application, I like using he LibreOffice suite. It's awesome and it's completely free of charge. It also supports the review markup as far as I know and it also has a pdf creator/editor included.

3. djharris macrumors member

I wouldn't count on anything except word to display review markup. Or even be 100% compatible with doc/docx.

Libre office is free, though, be sure to give it a spin.

4. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

If by review, you are referring to track changes, then yes. Pages is fully compatible with Word track changes in my testing.

I understand your hesitation on buying Pages. Apple pretty much confirmed that iWork will be getting some kind of update at the same time as OS X in their recent keynote (i.e., late July). Whether it will be a free minor update or a fuller paid upgrade is not known. Though I'd bet on the latter as it's been 3 years since the last major release.

You may just want to download the Microsoft Office 30 day trial from their website to tide you over for the next month until the iWork update drops.

5. PeggyD macrumors 6502a

You can download the iWork '09 trial here. Clicking the link will automatically start the download.

6. RedCroissant Suspended

Did I seriously get down-voted for my comment?? I use the application all the time since I am a college student and it does in fact support the review markup and is fully compatible with windows formats.

It's also not the prettiest application in my opinion because I have become accustom to Pages, which is a very polished application. Ok then, let the down-voting continue!

7. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

I cannot speak in an official capacity on this (obviously), but I would bet money with someone that when Apple updates iWork they'll also update the App Store versions without an additional fee. I'd pick it up now from the App Store (not physical) and roll with that. For what it's worth, I considered the same thing, and did this as well. I'm expecting the same thing from Aperture.

8. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Yeah, I've learned it's best to simply ignore the voting system. You get down-voted for saying very simple and logical things, and up voted for stupid comments.

I agree on LibreOffice, btw. Gets the job done, looks better than OpenOffice/NeoOffice, but it's still not exactly "pretty".

jW

9. RedCroissant Suspended

Well now you get an up-vote for being normal. I love LibreOffice and glad that the guys decided to continue their work even though they were essentially shut down on the OpenOffice project.