buy pb now or wait and see if 13" mbp comes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ezekel, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. ezekel macrumors regular

    Jun 4, 2004
    Royal Oak
    its been a while since i was last here..probably last year when i had my g4 ibook...but anyway after i sold my ibook iv been wanting another one and started to browse

    i either want to get a 12" pb or a 15" pb probably leaning towards the 15. The word around the watercooler says that apple may release their 13" widescreen mbp now im not sure on the correct wording for this....but would the 13" be a mbp or a ibook type..lower cost and less features?

    also since the new dual core macs are going to be rev A i was thinking on waiting until bugs are worked out, new features are added in etc

    should i buy a used pb or wait and see if anything better comes out?

    thanks people :D
  2. Piarco macrumors 68030


    Jun 24, 2004
    I'm in the same boat as you! I sold my 15" PB before MWSF, but was mildly disappointed with the MBP - the lack of battery life times, no DL Superdrive, no 64bit chips (really this doesn't affect me, but hey!) and most of all no 13.3" widescreen model.
    I've had a bundle of 12" PB up until my 15", and was keen to get a hi-res compact widescreen MBP. But as they are either waiting in the wings, or the 13" models will only be the new iBooks, we'll have to wait and see.
    I bought a Mac Mini to see me through, and have gone back to using the Dell thats in my office. I'm quite willing to wait until September to see what comes our way.

    My advice - get a second hand PB. It'll still retain most of its value when the time comes to get what is released.
  3. ezekel thread starter macrumors regular

    Jun 4, 2004
    Royal Oak
    thanks for the reply...i remember when the rev A 12"pb came out then the rev b with more features and im thinking thats what will happen with the mbp

    now the question is....12" or 15" :D
  4. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040


    Sep 29, 2005
    I was in the same boat as you. I, too, am waiting until a 13.3 inch or 12 inch MBP comes out. In the mean time, I just ordered a 12 inch Powerbook Combo drive (don't need super) with the 1.5 GHz processor (newest model, not superdrive) for 1,099. I thought it was a great price, so I think it should be adequate for word processing, internet, music and stuff until I can grab a MBP. Dont you?
  5. desenso macrumors 6502a


    May 25, 2005
    In fairness, how could you be mildly disappointed with the MWSF? They weren't even meant to launch an MBP this early - even an Intel computer wasn't for certain. I'm almost glad that they launched an MBP AND that it isn't the 12" or 13", because that's also what I want. The way I see it, if and when they do release it, we might get something at least slightly closer to "2nd gen" and therefore less buggy. Fingers crossed.

    I do hope they release something smaller than the 15.4" though - I hate the look of these 15" computers... they look gigantic.
  6. QCassidy352 macrumors G4


    Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    I'd wait... otherwise you're spending ~$1100 (at least) to hold you over for a month.
  7. Plecky macrumors regular

    Jun 29, 2005
    I agree for the most part. I'd personally wait until after the first week of April or until the rumored Apple 30th Anniversary party, and if they don't release a small form factor portable (or one with your necessary specs) then go for a 12" powerbook or ibook to hold you over. My guess is that they will, or if not maybe the current line of powerbooks will see price drops like the 20" iMac G5 did, especially since by April we should be seeing released MacBook Pro's to at least maybe lower the price of the 15" powerbooks and maybe in turn the other models as well just to clear them out. Personally I'm still looking for a cheap 1.33 ghz 12" powerbook with combo drive and 60 GB hard drive, unfortuantely it'll probably still be a long time until those drop down to a 600-700 dollar range since that's currently the price range for used/refurb 12" 1.2 GHZ 30 GB iBooks... Maybe another year or two...?

Share This Page