Buy Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by student_trap, Apr 14, 2005.

  1. student_trap macrumors 68000


    Mar 14, 2005
    'Ol Smokey, UK
    Hey everyone,

    I have been putting off buying a 12in powerbook because of the trackpad problems for two months now, and am desperate to take the plunge. So have the problems been sorted, or should i wait longer to ensure my mac is problem free? Also, with the thought that ibooks may be getting a 64Mb graphics card (to cope with tiger), is a boost in graphics card expected in the PB's too, in order to keep some sort of product differentiation between the two lines? Will there be any upgrades to come out of NAB (or in next couple of months) that would cause me to kick myself for buying now? This will be my first mac so i want to make sure that all will be good with it! :)

    Finally, would it be better to wait for tiger to come pre-loaded, or should i take advantage of the free upgrade and move over all my files when it comes out? Is this a simple task?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

  2. mcgarry macrumors 6502a


    Oct 19, 2004
    Hi, and welcome.

    - Apple claims the trackpad problems are addressed, but I guess that's what they would say. In any case, you can of course never guarantee that any computer you buy will be problem-free; that's what warranties are for.

    - On iBook/PowerBook upgrades, or the lack thereof, there are many threads, but try this one for some more thoughts on the matter. Personally I do not expect an update to either line this month, or in the immediate proximity of the Tiger release, but what do I know: very little.

    - I don't think there is a major advantage to having Tiger pre-loaded or having to install it yourself for basically the same price, or at least I don't think it's major enough to dictate your purchase decision. Apple makes OS upgrades easy thanks to a good archive-and-install function. But yes, I suppose if you are going to Tiger anyway, having it there already is easier.
  3. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

    Apr 6, 2005
    By purchasing now, wouldn't you get a copy of Panther and Tiger?
  4. slooksterPSV macrumors 68040


    Apr 17, 2004
    I say wait for NAB, btw does anyone know when it is... I'll google it here in a second, and make your decision after what comes out.
  5. Eevee macrumors 6502a


    Aug 10, 2004
    New Haven, CT
    Heard that the scrolling pad problems were mostly on the 15" models,and that's why some Apple Stores pull them off the shelves for a while.

    I would wait till Tiger is pre-loaded and possible a minor update on PB and iBooks (most unlikely). But mcgarry has good pts, too. It's up to you. Let us know what you decide. ;)
  6. mcgarry macrumors 6502a


    Oct 19, 2004
    Here's the old Page 2 rumor thread on the HD PB. It seems to only concern the 17", and is on Page 2, and other parts of the original post have been contradicted by the usually-pretty-good ThinkSecret rumor currently on page 1, which itself does not address PowerBooks.

    So while I would not be too surprised to see something come out of NAB, I doubt it would be major, though I'd love to be proven wrong!
  7. HiRez macrumors 603


    Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    Are the trackpad problems hardware-based or software-based? IOW, could they be fixed with an OS patch or firmware upgrade?
  8. R.Youden macrumors 68020


    Apr 1, 2005
    I have just got a 12" PowerBook and I am not having any trouble with the track pad. I am not sure if it is Software or Firmware. On the system profiler it says that the trackpad is USB powered!

Share This Page