buy ram from apple?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pr5owner, Jan 18, 2008.

1. pr5owner macrumors 65816

2. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Most of the time, companies like Apple, HP, Dell, ect. try to make a buck off the stupid consumers who do not know their options when it comes to RAM ;)

3. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

do not buy from apple seriosuly over priced stuff

check out www.crucial.com

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

5. pr5owner thread starter macrumors 65816

i realize that but dell only charges $297ish for 4GB, apple is $1000!!!!!!!

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?s=gen&c=us&l=en&cs=&k=4+gb+ram&cat=all&x=0&y=0

i would never buy generic parts from the manufacture, OCZ only since they have a life time warranty as well as being one of the highest quality and best performance.

6. pr5owner thread starter macrumors 65816

lol that could be taken the wrong way on this forum

7. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

lol not meant as in all there products, just the ram...mainly

8. jdr70 macrumors newbie

Crucial is the way to go

I can vouch for crucial on ram. Never had a problem in any of my macs and the price is good.

9. benpatient macrumors 68000

most people on here will point you towards Other World Computing, and I wouldn't disagree.

Good prices and they are mac-centric, so you can basically just tell them exactly which model you have and they will tell you which RAM that they sell will work in your machine.

It's their specialty, i guess you'd say.

I've used crucial and corsair and geil RAM in my PC builds over the years, and they were all fine. Crucial makes better "performance" RAM, but you can't easily modify the timings on a Mac, so it doesn't matter at all, truthfully.

10. arnette macrumors 6502

arnette

Apple would have you swallow the pill by telling you that the RAM through their store is covered by the same warranty (1 yr normal or 3 yr through Apple Care) as the computer. But if you factor it out, you could buy replacement RAM chips for less regardless. The whole thing is a ruse. Just like .Mac and ProCare. Don't bother with all 3.

11. Steradian macrumors 6502

ProCare has saved my butt a few times, when your income is based on your machine the 24 hour turn around on in-house repairs is godly!

12. BDK1022 macrumors newbie

I'm not sure if Apple just doesn't care at all about selling RAM or if they think they can actually trick people into thinking they need overpriced "Apple RAM" for their macs.