Buy RAM now, MacBook later?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GKThursday, Sep 19, 2007.

  1. GKThursday macrumors regular

    GKThursday

    Joined:
    May 25, 2005
    #1
    Hey all,
    As some of you might have read in other threads, my iBook G4 died a couple of weeks ago, so I'm in the market for a new notebook.
    I'm waiting for Leopard, as I don't have a pressing need for the MacBook now, and because I think it is very likely that Apple will give a speed bump (at minimum) to the MacBook sometime before December.
    So, Newegg is having a promo on RAM right now and I can get a 2GB Dimm for ~90USD. I think this is a pretty good deal. I'm also pretty confident that Apple would stick with PC2 5300 RAM even if they did release an update for the MacBook.
    Does anyone think I should jump/wait?

    Thanks for the input!
    ~Thursday
     
  2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

    Eidorian

    Joined:
    Mar 23, 2005
    Location:
    Indianapolis
    #2
    Santa Rosa uses DDR2-667 as well. I've found 2 GB at lower prices though. I'd wait to see if the price goes up before buying it. You have about another month before the Christmas season is going to increase RAM demand.
     
  3. alljunks macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2007
    #3
    I believe the memory prices will go down even more...if you are looking to buy a notebook in few weeks...i would suggest you wait!!


     
  4. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

    ricgnzlzcr

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2005
    #4
    I'd wait too. I just bought a 2gb stick from newegg and it arrived today. I finally don't have to close any programs! I think that by the time you buy your macbook the ram will probably be the same or lower.
     
  5. GavinTing macrumors 6502

    GavinTing

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2007
    Location:
    Singapore!
    #5
    If the price however does go up, you can always wait for a month till the prices go back down to buy yea?
     
  6. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

    Sirmausalot

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2007
    #6
    Don't be silly. Wait until you have the computer. There are always promotions and generally RAM prices keep falling. Your downside could be as much as 90 bucks if you buy ram you can't use or sell. The upside is what, ten twenty bucks?
     

Share This Page