buy RAM separately?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cavtma, Oct 31, 2008.

1. cavtma macrumors newbie

May 24, 2008
    I"m looking to buy a laptop and was wondering if I should plan on buying the extra ram separately or with my order? On that note, is there anything I should pay attention to if I buy it separately>? Like incompatible formats or stuff like that. Also, are there any worries of voiding the warranty if I add it myself?
    Thank you,
  2. timeconsumer macrumors 65816

Aug 1, 2008
    Honestly, with the new macbooks/macbook pros I'd personally just buy it with my order. I think it's $150 to upgrade to 4GB. I just went to and for the new ram it was pretty close to that price. But I'm sure if you search around you might be able to find a better deal.

As far as voiding the warranty, no it will not. Here's an old article on Apple's website that says upgrading the memory will not void your warranty -

Also, Apple shows you how to upgrade the memory on their website.

Macbook -
    Macbook Pro -

Edit: the link above for the macbook pro is the previous gen. I couldn't find the current gen instructions
  3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

Aug 17, 2007
    I would just order it with the computer, also. I have been reading on a few websites that Apple's price on RAM has become more competitive.
  4. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

Aug 27, 2008
    if you are buying anything but the whitebook just order the ram with the computer. if you are buying the whitebook or lastgen mbp buy elsewhere.