Buy replacement AppleTV for $59 or wait?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by satchmo, Sep 1, 2014.

1. satchmo macrumors 68000

My AppleTV was fried during a recent power outage.

The Apple Store says they'll give me a replacement one for $59...not bad price. Of course, I'm aware that this model is probably near the end of it's life cycle.

What are the latest rumours with respect to a new AppleTV?
    If it's not until next year, I'll pony up and get the replacement. I've already gone without it for about a month, but I'm starting to really miss it.

Considered a $35 Chromecast, but for the extra $24, I may as well stay within the Apple ecosystem as I own an iPad/iPhone.

2. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Every rumor of a new Apple TV can be found here: http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/apple-tv/

Btw iOS device can stream to chromcast.

3. satchmo thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks. Yeah it's anybody's guess.

Perhaps the better question would be a Chromexast at $35 or AppleTV at $59.

If one can mirror stream reliably with a Chromecast and iOS device, it might be a good tie over device until a new AppleTV is announced.

4. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

If possible wait until the Sept Apple event is over. I would pay the extra $25 dollars for the Appletv.

5. betman macrumors regular

Good point, best to wait until the Sept 9 event is over to make sure there aren't any surprises. But I wouldn't hesitate to pay $24 extra to have something you already know and have grown accustomed to.

Even luckier if you get a refurb of the initial ATV3 release if that's at all possible... :)

6. satchmo thread starter macrumors 68000

Why, are there different ATV3 models?

7. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yes there was a second revision that came out in January 2013. The earlier models used an A5 chip that had one core disabled, meanwhile the later model had a completley redesgined A5 that actually only has one core. Its not disable in the hardware, its just not there. I don't see how there is a much of a noticable difference to the end user. I believe that it is a hardware restriction, not a software restriction.

8. betman macrumors regular

As mentioned in the post above, there are two versions that are virtually the same from the users' perspective.

There is one difference though, namely that the initial release of ATV3 can have its firmware reverted to version 5.3 whereas for some reason Apple is not allowing this with the latter version: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1751871

It's worth keeping in mind as quite a few people have reported picture juddering/stuttering issues using the latest firmware, as well as wifi issues that have suddenly appeared.

9. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Also I believe the second, newer version draws slightly less power.

10. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

I didn't know they'd do that. I had a fried ATV1 that I just threw out (after I'd removed the hard drive). Dang.

$59 is a good price. Hopefully the offer will still stand after next weeks event.