Buy Retina 13" now or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ankit1088, Feb 10, 2014.

  1. Ankit1088, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

    Ankit1088 macrumors newbie

    Ankit1088

    Joined:
    May 26, 2008
    #1
    I am in the market for a new Macbook. Are there any rumors or when they maybe updated?

    I was looking at the Buyer's Guide on Macrumors and the 13" MacBook Pro with Retina was updated last February 2013 after it debuted in October 2012. Then it was updated in October 2013, can we suspect anything this month or next? I just can't decide if I should wait a few more weeks or go ahead and pull the trigger on the current retinas. If anyone has heard of any rumors that maybe help my fiasco I would greatly appreciate if you could point me to the source.
     
  2. elviorion macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Feb 7, 2014
    Location:
    Wisconsin, USA
    #2
    Consensus seems to be that it would only be a minor update to processor speed and not really anything to get excited over or delay for.
     
  3. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

    Barney63

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2014
    Location:
    Bolton, UK.
    #3
    I've not read of any imminent update on the board or in any of my Mac magazines.

    Barney
     
  4. carjakester macrumors 68020

    carjakester

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    Location:
    Midwest
    #4
    If you need it right now get it, but as its been said nothing to hold your breath for is expected so might as well get it now.
     
  5. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2010
    #5
    I really don't think an update is imminent. I think a Retina 12" Air will come out over the summer before the Pros are refreshed.

    These 13" Pros have a lot to offer, so I'd buy one now if you need to.
     
  6. Gman021 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2012
    #6
    Im in the same boat. As much as I would love to buy a new retina, I'm holding out for Broadwell, but also IGZO.

    I hope this summer/late spring we see new ones, but I doubt it.
     
  7. Commy1 macrumors 6502a

    Commy1

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2013
    #7
    If you need confirmation that the Late 2013 rMBP's are good then I can safely say yet, they're fabulous. Any improvement in a near future version will be a processor update with some improved battery life, with the possibility of higher maximum ram, but I doubt it. 16GB is good enough for most people and the cost of the upgrade would be huge.
    Get it
     
  8. accountforit, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014

    accountforit macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2014
    #8
    It's so funny to me that people need/want an item on the market but they "hold out" for something coming 6-8 months down the road. Do you not realize that 8-12 months after that, the tech you held out for will be outdated again. There is no sense waiting for anything. If you need the newest, then buy the newest and then sell and buy the newest again when it's refreshed.

    It's the same thing with Applecare. Most people don't realize that they could just stop buying Applecare and for a tad bit more money sell their current MBP and buy the newest one every year.
     
  9. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2010
    #9
    Interesting idea -- and pretty much true. I had a Powerbook for nearly 6 years then got a 2010 13" Core2Duo. Once the 13" got the Sandy Bridge upgrade a few months later, I sold the '10 for the '11 without taking much of a financial hit.
     
  10. Gman021 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2012
    #10
    Your assuming that the increase in technology is linear. The broadwell has potential to be much more significant than Haskell. We'll have to wait and see
     
  11. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2010
    #11
    I doubt it will be 'significant' ... nothing like what we saw going to Sandy Bridge w/ the MacBooks. There hasn't been a whimper about what lies ahead for the MBP line, therefore it is a fine time to buy this generation.
     
  12. Tmdlkwd macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2014
    #12
    Buy a refurb now..512/16 at $1699
    Then if a late 2014 update or early 2015 is what you want

    You can then sell yours still under warranty too

    Just a thought
     
  13. accountforit macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2014
    #13
    Who cares if it's linear or not? Does the price change if it's not linear? Not normally. The principles are all the same. You can sell every year and be out very little money. Waiting for new technology is completely dumb. It's a never ending waiting game.
     
  14. Gman021 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2012
    #14
    The fact that the price doesn't change, as in go up, is clearly a positive. The Broadwell RMBP has much more to offer than just broadwell.
     
  15. leman macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    #15
    There won't be any substantial changes to the 13" rMBP until late this year - when Intel releases its new CPUs. If you are interested in having more RAM, you will need to wait until 2015 when DDR4 will become widely available.
     
  16. accountforit macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2014
    #16
    Now you can tell the future?

    You don't get the point. The new rMBP could come with a supermodel as well. There is still no sense in waiting for something 6-8 months down the road. Buy the current model, enjoy it, use it for what it is (a tool), and then sell it and buy the new one whenever it comes out.

    Or don't buy it, continually come to this forum for the next 6-8 months wondering what is to come, buy the broadwell after all that waiting, and then regret your purchase one month after you buy it because there is a new rumor about "pornwell" that will be released early 2015.
     
  17. kathyricks macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2012
    #17
    If you want a trouble free computing experience now would be a good time to get a Oct 2013 rMBP because the initial hardware and software bugs have been pretty well worked out.

    If you want a smaller and lighter rMB then you'll likely have to wait until late 2014 when a rumored 12" rMB Air may be available.
     
  18. tmoerel macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2008
    #18
    If you need it now buy it now. If you don't a bit of waiting won't hurt!
     
  19. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #19
    In all likelhood there is no update coming in the 1Q or even 2Q of the year so buy now, otherwise wait until the fall of 2014 for the Broadwell machines.
     
  20. MCAsan macrumors 601

    MCAsan

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2012
    Location:
    Atlanta
    #20
    I doubt any new machines are announced before WWDC in June.
     
  21. Robisan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2014
    #21
    Very interesting thought. I've been holding off on AC until I got closer to the deadline. Will have to look hard at this calculation then.

    ~~~

    On topic, one other factor to consider is the cost of SSD storage should continue to fall -- 256gb may become the 13" entry level standard and the cost for 512gb may become more reasonable -- if larger storage is important to the OP.
     

Share This Page