Buy Retina iMac now or wait?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Noctilux.95, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Noctilux.95 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I'm currently using a 2009 Mac Pro tower with a 27" Cinema display and a MBP Retina for all my photography work. Interested in the iMac mainly for the Retina display but also for the streamlined body.
    As of not I'm in no rush for a new computer since I'm already well covered. But I will eventually get the iMac Retina since a dedicated Mac Pro plus a high end 4K monitor will cost significantly more.
    So the question is when is the next iMac Retina update and what kind of improvement are speculated?
    Also what are issues with the current iMac R?
    Thanks!

2. rei101 macrumors 6502a

No one knows.

I have a 2008 Mac pro and a 2010 iMac and just got the latest 15" MBP.

You could get the retina now or later and use your Mac Pro for storage and server, that is how I am using it, no screen attached. Still, more machines to update and such. But if you are not in actual need just do not even bother yet.

3. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Contrary to the popular opinion on this forum, neither the base nor the upgraded iMac Retina model have real issues. Sure, the retina resolutions are more demanding and some things just seem more smooth on maxed-out non-retina models - but I wouldn't bet the next generation of iMac will make things much better. My guess is that it will take a few generations to get a consistently smooth experience in 5K. In fact, it is quite comparable to a Retina MacBook Pro (which has a lower resolution than 5K, but also less powerful hardware). The experience is similar, and since you have a Retina MBP, you already have an idea how the 5K feels when it comes to animations. In my opinion, it runs quite well. If you focus on some UI animations and specifically look at fps, yes, you can see a stutter here and there - but nothing major. If you just focus on using the computer like you normally would - everything is blazing fast (apart from Mission Control animations with lots of windows open, especially on the base model - that's the only real slowdown and I'm not even sure it's a hardware reason)

So - if you want the Retina screen now, then get the 5K iMac now. The next generation will be a bit faster, but not a game-changer like the Retina screen is now. If you just generally want a new iMac, and don't mind waiting, then use your current setup as long as you can and then upgrade :)

Anyway, I don't think waiting for newer things in the world of technology is a good idea. A better, shinier thing is always around the corner. Buy the computer when you need it and don't think about the next thing.

Again, I want to repeat: there are no real issues with the Retina 5K iMac. It's one of the best Macs Apple ever made. It is fast, beautiful inside and out, slim and quiet, and has an amazing screen.

4. Sciuriware macrumors regular

Sciuriware

There's been a long period when everything in Computer land got faster,
    bigger and more sophisticated every so many months.
    That time is over; it can take years to have such a period again.

So, I agree with the poster above: don't wait for something that's already there.
    ;JOOP!

5. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Wait? Why?

Apple is gonna come out with a better machine. Prices will probably drop a bit. That's been the case since the 80's; if that makes you fret then do a hackintosh or buy a PC, so that you can upgrade hardware piecemeal.

And not waiting even more sense with this Mac, because of the retina screen. Anyone who does anything visual with their Macs will appreciate retina immediately.

Or you could sit around staring at your pictures as if seen through a screen door...your choice. ;)

6. AlifTheUnseen macrumors member

AlifTheUnseen

Noctilux, I suggest you try to find out yourself what's going on. I can agree with aevan on the
    - fast
    - slim
    - amazing screen,

but I think it's neither
    - beautiful inside (because from an engineering point of view, putting laptop technology into an all-in-one-desktop with non-recyclable screen is a technology disaster, esp. with this GPU)
    - beautiful outside (thin edges, wtf? I'd rather have a silent machine)
    - quiet (fans way above 2000 rpms --> but maybe you want the RiMac just to check eMails then you might not hear them…. )

7. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Depends on where you're coming from and what do you consider beautiful and quiet.

When it comes to beauty, it's highly subjective. I really like how it looks compared to my 2011 iMac (which I also liked). In fact, it's the most beautiful computer I've seen, it looks incredible - but that is a very subjective opinion, I agree. Still - I'd be curious to hear which computer is better looking in your opinion.

Also, it is a lot more silent than my previous Mac - and even when the fans are really working, the sound is not that loud and not unpleasant. And no, I don't just do emails - I can't hear them while I'm working in Photoshop and I can't hear them while sculpting in Zbrush (and Zbrush makes the fans spin really loud on my MacBook Pro, almost immediately). So yeah, I'd say based on my experience with my 2013 Retina 15" MacBook Pro and my 2011 27" iMac - it is really quiet. Heck, even Diablo 3 doesn't make the fans spin loud. The only thing that does make them audible is playing demanding games, and even then I can't hear them from the game audio. Please note, though, that I have a base system - I've heard that the upgraded one gets the fans spinning harder and a lot sooner. So I can't speak for that.

8. AlifTheUnseen macrumors member

AlifTheUnseen

My all-time fav. Apple computer is the flowerpower iMac
    [​IMG]

Just kidding… I think the current Mac Pro is beautiful (also because the engineering and design genius converged towards an excellent piece of technology) and so is the Mac Cube (I still have one collecting dust... I should try to rip the G4 450 MHz core out and squeeze in a MacMini, a time machine HD and a SuperDrive).

9. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I'm waiting till Xmas for a few reasons. Mainly because that's what my budget allows, but also because I noticed some slight UI choppiness on the 5K iMac here at a local Apple Store. Simply minimizing the "About This Mac" window was enough for me to notice it. Probably not a big deal for a lot of people out there (as can be seen after reading the comments in this thread), but nevertheless it is something that would bug me enough to be an annoyance over the long term. Plus, in the meantime, if that choppiness turns out to be caused by a graphics driver or Yosemite issue, then it might be addressed in an OS X update in the interim.

10. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

If you're in no rush don't buy one. When you need or want one, buy it.

11. perspective7 macrumors newbie

I couldn't wait :D

Gotta love :apple: * Sigh * This retina iMac is truly awesome

12. zipur macrumors 6502

I swear Apple must be putting subliminal messages in the screens refresh! I've read these types of post on every product Apple puts out. Once we see it we can't help but want to get the darn thing. Even with slight improvements we still want it. I'm bumping around fat dumb and happy and then out of the corner of my eye at Best Buy is see the 5K. Next thing ya know i'm here on the forum. I did the same thing with my rMBP, Ipad and Iphone. Can't wait I gotta have it; NOW!
    Gives me a different perspective on why the wife loves shopping for shoes.
    And although I can fight it off for a few months, I know deep down where the tax refund will go.