Buy Retina Macbook Pro now or wait for Mountain Lion?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blueicedj, Jun 12, 2012.

  1. blueicedj macrumors 6502

    Jul 11, 2007
    I'm currently in the market for a new Macbook Pro. Now that the retina Macbook has been shown and looks awesome I was wondering if I should go ahead and get it now or wait for Mountain Lion to come out so it is installed fresh. I know I can get a free update if I buy it now but I would it run better with a fresh install of Mountain Lion rather than Lion updated to Mountain Lion? Thanks for the help.
  2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816


    Feb 4, 2011
    New York
    Seems like a pointless thing to wait for, just because you want a "fresh install," honestly won't make a difference.
  3. bigalow macrumors member

    Feb 16, 2012
    won't you be able to do a clean install? worse case, it's a extra $19.99. That covers all of your compatible macs.
  4. lulla01 macrumors 68020


    Jul 13, 2007
    You get the upgrade for free if you buy it now
  5. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68030


    Jun 10, 2010
    Just do a fresh install of ML when it comes out.
  6. JFC macrumors member

    Oct 19, 2011
    It will ship with Lion. The back up partition will have Lion and the free upgrade to ML will be just an upgrade. So, how do you do a fresh install?
  7. RSully macrumors member

    Mar 6, 2011
    The same way you do a fresh install of Lion when you installed on Snow Leopard from MAS. You install it, then boot into the updated recovery partition and format the disk, then install it again.
  8. ubercool macrumors 6502a


    Jan 31, 2008
    Las Vegas
    Same trick as with Lion, create a bootable installer on your USB stick -- buy a 3.0 version, it will go much faster! :D
  9. MacRumoren macrumors member

    Jul 20, 2010
    Would I be bad if I copy my current Lion onto the new MBP when it arrives?

    I remember using the "Move my Mac" function a while ago, and it seriously sucked, missing all kinds of files and apps and certain settings not transferred properly.

    I hope there is a way to clone my existing disk/OS onto the SSD in the new MBP?
  10. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

    Sep 4, 2006
    Palo Alto, CA
    I think the better question is "buy now or wait to see if there are any problems with the 1st run"
  11. pragmatous macrumors 65816

    May 23, 2012
    You get mountain lion for free.

    The OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date upgrade will be available at no additional charge from the Mac App Store to all customers who purchase a qualifying new Mac system from Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller on or after June 11, 2012.

  12. LaidBack macrumors member


    Apr 6, 2011
    Does anyone know of any disadvantages in performance or space requirements from the OS after doing an upgrade vs. a clean install?

Share This Page