Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
depends on which are you talking about and which are going to be equipping the new macs, we have

4400 - ULV only, however we have some ULVs with the 5100

4600 - currently we know they are in some quads

5100 - we know they are in som ULVs, its probable we will see them in 37w cpus as well

5200 - cream of the crop it comes with the most powerful core and with embedded ram so that the gpu doesnt starve that much (its going to be only 128mb after all), and this is the one that appeared in the youtube video. We know its going to appear in 2 quads, in all probability its going to appear in more cpus across the entire range as well (minus the Y series, since its for 11w or something of tdp)

Tom did a review of the 4600, and its around 20-30% better than the 4000 (in the 2 games tested 10fps of difference is good but not enough), we expect a lot more from the 5200, since its double the cores along the embedded ram, thus basically something more than trinity is, probably 30% less than what kaveri can deliver
/QUOTE]

Isn't Haswell packaged with the GT3 rather than HD4000?

so depends.

but new arch in igpu, means not using what are they using now, which is this http://www.anandtech.com/show/6355/intels-haswell-architecture

they are going to make a new arch for the igpu. We dont know what is going to be. its kind like what nvidia and amd do for their gpus, kepler -> maxwell.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Most likely the 15" rMBP will have the GT3, due to it being power hungry. Gotta drive those pixels. Can't really say about the 13 incher.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
Most likely the 15" rMBP will have the GT3, due to it being power hungry. Gotta drive those pixels. Can't really say about the 13 incher.

I have to say that I think there is a chance to the contrary. GT3 is more expensive than GT2; why put the most powerful chip in there when it also has a dGPU? And we know that GT2 will be able to handle Retina, because the 4000 already can, and the 4600 has better performance. Now, the 13" I think will definitely have a GT3 because it doesn't have a dGPU as a back-up. It needs the best it can get.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
I have to say that I think there is a chance to the contrary. GT3 is more expensive than GT2; why put the most powerful chip in there when it also has a dGPU? And we know that GT2 will be able to handle Retina, because the 4000 already can, and the 4600 has better performance. Now, the 13" I think will definitely have a GT3 because it doesn't have a dGPU as a back-up. It needs the best it can get.

Agreed 100%

lenkeyth

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2013
Just buy

Unless you really need those extra specs. You just have to learn that you will always be "behind" in regards to having the latest tech. When i stopped worrying about being super-cutting edge, i enjoyed my tech more, and bought a more diversive range of products.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Thanks for the advice guys. I admit it is tempting to get it now, and with a seemingly semi-major upgrade on the way, based on some 'gpu' predictions here, it's hard to pull the trigger now.

I don't really need it per say, but if I can enjoy it now than later, that's halfway there in terms of the fun factor. If a dedicated GPU is really coming, it is something to consider. But with that come more possible problems, maybe.

Just another question to Final Cur Pro X users: will the Haswell discrete GPU thingy improve editing performance?

Thanks again guys. I'll let you know by tomorrow if I finally got beat by my 'immature' self. :)

Last edited:

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
Thanks for the advice guys. I admit it is tempting to get it now, and with a seemingly semi-major upgrade on the way, based on some 'gpu' predictions here, it's hard to pull the trigger now.

I don't really need it per say, but if I can enjoy it now than later, that's halfway there in terms of the fun factor. If a dedicated GPU is really coming, it is something to consider. But with that come more possible problems, maybe.

Just another question to Final Cur Pro X users: will the Haswell discrete GPU thingy improve editing performance?

Thanks again guys. I'll let you know by tomorrow if I finally got beat by my 'immature' self. :)
the rmbp 13 wont feature a dgpu, that is most unlikely, unless you are talking about the rmbp 15, which I firmly believe its going to feature the 8870m

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.