Buy rMBP 15 now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SDAVE, Mar 15, 2015.

  1. SDAVE macrumors 68040

    SDAVE

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    Nowhere
    #1
    I can get a brand new 15" 2.5Ghz 512GB SSD version for $1900 after taxes. Should I get it? Or just wait.
     
  2. duervo macrumors 68000

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #2
    Beats me, but I'm not even considering the possibility of getting one until the next refresh. I'll see what they do at that time, and then decide.
     
  3. Roadking714 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2014
    #3
    Any links on this purchase? I would jump on it if you need it
     
  4. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2010
    #4
    Do you need a new laptop? If so - get it. If not - don't.
     
  5. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

    SDAVE

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    Nowhere
    #5
    I can get it through coupons & discounts from Best Buy.

    I sold mine and have been waiting to get one for about 6 months, but Apple is slow and I can't do the 13" - I need a dedicated GPU. But I'd be so sad if I buy one and 2-3 months later they come out with the Broadwell.
     
  6. duervo macrumors 68000

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #6
    I wouldn't expect 2-3 months later. I suspect it would be more like 3-4 months later. WWDC is most likely in June (3 months from now), where there is higher probability that they will announce a refresh of the 15". There is a chance it may be done sooner, but the odds are more in favor of a WWDC announcement.
     
  7. xyzoptics macrumors newbie

    xyzoptics

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2013
    #7
    What are the benefits of the dedicated GPU that make it that important for you?
     
  8. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2015
    #8
    No need to be sad, just today I picked up a base model rMBP 15 for $600 under retail. When the update comes out, this one will still get what I paid for it on Craigslist. I sell it and buy the new one. You can do the same.
     
  9. Chevelle macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2010
    #9
    I just bought my wife a base 15" today. She needs a lot of ram for work. She runs data analysis software and it's ram intensive. I told her there may be an update in a few months but she doesn't care. Needs it now.

    I may buy the new macbook for myself since I just web browse, watch videos, and buy ****.
     
  10. nanogirl21 macrumors 6502a

    nanogirl21

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2011
    Location:
    Midwest United States
    #10
    If you NEED a laptop right now I would buy it. If you have a device and you can use that for the next few months I would wait. I wouldn't wait an entire year. I would just hold out until the Fall to see if anything happens. If not anything released by the Fall I would go ahead and buy then.
     
  11. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

    SDAVE

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    Nowhere
    #11
    thats a good idea - im gonna do that probably.
     
  12. matreya macrumors 65816

    matreya

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2009
    #12
    Just get it... Broadwell isn't going to offer a big leap in performance anyway.

    I bought a refurb one 12 days ago and am very happy with it.
     
  13. JoeLr macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2014
    #13
    When it comes to electronics, I'm pretty much in the buy it if you need it camp, unless an update is clearly "imminent."

    My 2012 15" rMBP (2.6GHz i7/16GB RAM/NVIDIA 650M/256GB SSD) fell off a table Saturday morning. The "t" key got smashed & no longer is responsive; screen is messed up & when I restart, all I get is a black screen UNLESS I also hold down option key while re-booting. I also get a white lightening bolt in a black circle as a sort of screensaver. I never buy warranty or damage coverage for electronics. I was went ahead & bought a base model mid-2014 15# rMBP from Amazon. Sucks as I was wanting to get another year at least from my 2012 rMBP.

    Also, it sucks tying by copying/pasting every "t" in this post. :D
     
  14. Freyqq macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2004
    #14
    Intel's release schedule dictates its release. The chips aren't out yet.
     
  15. duervo macrumors 68000

    duervo

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2011
    #15
    Mid-2015. AKA: 3-4 months from now
     

    Attached Files:

  16. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 23, 2009
    #16
    Yea but they are gonna boost the GPU considerably and get the new trackpad. That alone can be worth the wait.
     
  17. SDAVE thread starter macrumors 68040

    SDAVE

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    Nowhere
    #17
    That was my main concern...and I bet they'll get an extra hour out of the battery too, but keep the same chassis/design. And probably (maybe?) add USB-C? But I doubt it. I Don't need USB-C.

    The Intel GPU will go to 6100 and nVidia will jump up by a ton too. I've had the 2.2Ghz Retina version before, it's not super laggy, but the GPU could use some more help driving the screen.
     
  18. bgro macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 6, 2010
    Location:
    South Florida
    #18
    I'm in the same "dilemma". But at the current best buy price of $1799 less 10% movers coupon = $1620 + tax for a brand new 15" that is a really hard deal to pass off considering it's ~$600 off apple store pricing. That alone is worth the price of buying "outdated" tech. If this laptop fits your needs then I see no reason to not go forward with the purchase now considering the price.

    Edit:

    Didn't see you were looking at the 512GB with dedicated graphics. $1900 is a steal for that machine relatively speaking assuming it's new or manufacture refurbed. Where are you finding it for that price? The best I can find is $2250 at best buy less 10% with movers coupon = $2,025 PLUS tax. That's for a brand new machine.
     
  19. TLmac macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2015
    #19
    Just curious if one was going to by Refurb vs. brand new, does it matter WHEN?

    When ppl post about waiting for new updates/units, is it always for brand new ones?
     
  20. mcarling macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    #20
    Buy one now. There is a very good chance that the 15" Broadwell MBP will not be available with a discrete GPU.
     
  21. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2007
    Location:
    Upstate NY
    #21
    New 15" MBP NO GPU

    And your basing this on what information ?
     
  22. yjchua95 macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2011
    Location:
    GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
    #22
    Based on Apple's not-so-good track record with dGPU-equipped MBPs.
     
  23. uploaded macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2009
    #23
    Buy now

    I bought mine this week - rMBP 15", 2.5 i7, GT 750M, 16GB RAM, 512 SSD.

    It is ultra fast running Mavericks. The new Broadwell based systems will only be able to use Yosemite.
     
  24. Brian Y macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2012
    #24
    The 6100 will be a minor bump (as the 5->6 series was in the 13"). There's no need for a powerful iGPU on these, since whenever you do anything that would use the power it switches to the dedicated card.

    I don't know what they're going to replace the dedicated one with though.
     
  25. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #25
    It is fairly poor

    but the IRIS PRO 6200 is still not fast enough to replace the dGPU in the higher end it's as simple as that I expect you'll see a 950M in it.
     

Share This Page