Buy rMBP now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aburns, Jul 12, 2013.

1. aburns macrumors newbie

Ok so I'm going to start college near the end of August and I need to get a computer. I have decided on the 13" rMBP. I'm an engineering student so I will be running windows 7 too. From what I have seen, Apple isn't likely to update before then so do I give in and buy now? Or is there something I'm missing? Thanks!

2. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

If you can wait it out, I would wait until September. Do you have another laptop you can use in the meantime?

3. aburns thread starter macrumors newbie

No unfortunately I don't. It might be possible to use one of my parent's old laptops but I'm not sure if that's a good idea because I will probably need lots of additional software..

4. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

If you really can't wait a few months, then go but an rMBP. It's an excellent machine and you won't regret it. It will be usable for years.

However, if you can afford to wait a few months, Haswell rMBPs are expected to bring nominal performance gains and big changes to battery life.

5. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

I would deffo wait it out.

HD4000 to Intel 5100 is a pretty decent bump in GFX alone

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

7. Endomon macrumors newbie

Well, just give it a try first and see if you do indeed need the additional software.

If you're going for the 13", I'd recommend waiting as the current one is quite behind in terms of GPU performance. Hell, it runs the same graphics processor as my 11" MBA. And I'm not running anything near a retina-type display. The next-gen will definitely be a noticeable step-up in terms of graphics performance, something that will be at least more "futureproof".

8. ghoti macrumors member

Personally, I couldn't wait as I need the power before September -- I couldn't be happier with my refurb rMBP 13. :D

9. jxie0755 macrumors member

Oh yes, go ahead buy it now and miss that HD5100 which is a huge jump from HD4000, in...let's say 2 months maximumly.

10. SevenFourSeven macrumors newbie

SevenFourSeven

If they don't announce anything new by the beginning of August, I would say to go ahead and buy a current model rMBP.

I'm in the same situation as you, and that's what I'm doing.

11. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

Why Win 7? If you really need to run serious Windows software, get a new Windows machine. Pass on the Mac.

12. applepie555 macrumors regular

13. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I say wait for another 3 generations. Then it will be even better.

14. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

if

if... someone were so generous as to gift me a top of the line 13" r-mbp i'd surely be glad and use it well right now, why wait? go, splurge a little - live a little enjoy it for all it's worth today. why wait?

15. lagisibuk macrumors 6502

huaahaha, yeahhh. agree with this one.
    I think, today is worth for today dan tommorow will be worth for tommorow.
    take it now and enjoy, your enjoy time will be same worth for the waiting time :)

16. tecknik1 macrumors member

I agree with the above, I have a 2011 MacAir 13 in and just got a 13 RMBP today and I love it.

17. hbksabhi macrumors regular

I wanna ask u something about ur air
    Do u missing it now , even a little bit ?
    Was ur air 2GB , of yes then how was it holding up with latest os and other apps ?

18. tecknik1 macrumors member

I'm not missing the Air at all but if I ever do its not far away sense I gave it to my wife and it is a 4 gb version.
    The screen was the determining factor on changing to RMBP.

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OP, there's no guarantee that we'll see new MBPs in September. I think everyone would love to see them then (or sooner) and the hope is September but its not written in stone.

If you have a hard date of August for a computer you have two choices. Buy now or borrow another computer and wait through the fall, which may include September, and October.

20. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

For the 13" I would wait until about a week before it is time to start school. I think the upgrades on the 13" will be worth it, but if you get to the end of the August and things still haven't been refreshed then you have to get something.

But waiting until then costs you nothing really....so I'd do that. If you do happen to end up buying the current gen model...I would highly recommend getting one from Apple's refurb store.

21. ka-spot macrumors 6502a

Actually costs me! I'm loosing weight jumping nervously around and waiting for the Haswell retina release! :D

22. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

OP, if you can't wait any longer that is fine ONLY if you feel that Haswell is not that important to you like long battery life or better GPU? Then you can go ahead and buy 2013 13" MBP right NOW! I am sure you will love it anyway. :apple: