Buy second hand MBP now then buy new model as soon as released.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheStigger, Mar 3, 2010.

1. TheStigger macrumors newbie

TheStigger

As the title really,

Getting pretty pissed off waiting for the new ****ing MBPs to come out.

Im now having problems with CS4, my 4 year old PC laptop has done me very well but its time is up. Running a few apps and its in pain screaming.

So heres the plan..

Buy a second hand MBP for under £800 now, would i get a decent 15inch for that? I really dont want to buy a new C2D as everyone knows they are outdated by quite a bit and i want value for money.

Sell that and get a new MBP i5 or whatever as soon as they out. By my reckoning i should only be a few hundred down by the time i sell it again, i can live with this though, as i say this PC has had it.

What you think? where is the best place to pick up a used MBP? I really want a 15" for under £800. Which is about $1200.

2. needlz macrumors member

Are you eligible to buy from the Education Store? Here in Switzerland they offer about 16% discount on the MBPs. Combining that with an AppleCare from eBay, you should get a decent rabate.

If you put that device on eBay a few months later, you'll be only about 100-200$ down in a few months. Maybe you might even make no loss at all.

3. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

here's the thing.. lets say you find a 15" MBP for $1200 now.. once the new models come out - lets say its in June, what'll that one be worth? $1000? $900? you could stand to lose about $200-$300 by doing that - its pretty much a rental fee..

I just sold my early '08 MBP for $1550, so for $1200 I'd guess you're looking at a 2007 model.

here's the other option, maybe spend a little more now - (if you can afford to) and try and find something a little newer that might not drop in value as much and hold onto it past the next release. If you could find a good deal on a Unibody 15" for about $1500 (which is do-able) - then at least you still have something that will hold its value a little better and the longer you keep it, the less your "rental" fee's become.

I was in the same situation.. waiting for Arrandale. I got a good deal on something new yesterday and took it. for the price I didn't mind getting "old" technology (which is still current and ell more than enough for my needs), and I'm not longer waiting for Arrandale - I'm waiting for whatever comes next. :) If Apple surprises me and blows me away with the features in Arrandale, then I can still sell mine and do what you're doing, but if not - I have something I am more than content keeping.

4. TheStigger thread starter macrumors newbie

TheStigger

Thanks for replies guys.

Unfortunately not a student so no discount.

Im on the verge of buying a new 13' MB990b/A for £760 delivered. I hope to get back £600/£650 when these darned new models get launched. This HP laptop cost me the same money over 5 years ago and its been a great backup machine but time to get onto the Mac Book Pro ladder at long last.:)

5. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

ansabakhan

u dont have to ba student your self to get the discount .. my brother bought it for his daughter and got 15% discount.