Buy second hand MBP now then buy new model as soon as released.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheStigger, Mar 3, 2010.

  1. TheStigger macrumors newbie

    TheStigger

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2010
    #1
    As the title really,

    Getting pretty pissed off waiting for the new ****ing MBPs to come out.

    Im now having problems with CS4, my 4 year old PC laptop has done me very well but its time is up. Running a few apps and its in pain screaming.

    So heres the plan..

    Buy a second hand MBP for under £800 now, would i get a decent 15inch for that? I really dont want to buy a new C2D as everyone knows they are outdated by quite a bit and i want value for money.

    Sell that and get a new MBP i5 or whatever as soon as they out. By my reckoning i should only be a few hundred down by the time i sell it again, i can live with this though, as i say this PC has had it.

    What you think? where is the best place to pick up a used MBP? I really want a 15" for under £800. Which is about $1200.
     
  2. needlz macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    Zurich, Switzerland
    #2
    Are you eligible to buy from the Education Store? Here in Switzerland they offer about 16% discount on the MBPs. Combining that with an AppleCare from eBay, you should get a decent rabate.

    If you put that device on eBay a few months later, you'll be only about 100-200$ down in a few months. Maybe you might even make no loss at all.
     
  3. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

    Hls811

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2004
    Location:
    New Jersey
    #3

    here's the thing.. lets say you find a 15" MBP for $1200 now.. once the new models come out - lets say its in June, what'll that one be worth? $1000? $900? you could stand to lose about $200-$300 by doing that - its pretty much a rental fee..

    I just sold my early '08 MBP for $1550, so for $1200 I'd guess you're looking at a 2007 model.

    here's the other option, maybe spend a little more now - (if you can afford to) and try and find something a little newer that might not drop in value as much and hold onto it past the next release. If you could find a good deal on a Unibody 15" for about $1500 (which is do-able) - then at least you still have something that will hold its value a little better and the longer you keep it, the less your "rental" fee's become.

    I was in the same situation.. waiting for Arrandale. I got a good deal on something new yesterday and took it. for the price I didn't mind getting "old" technology (which is still current and ell more than enough for my needs), and I'm not longer waiting for Arrandale - I'm waiting for whatever comes next. :) If Apple surprises me and blows me away with the features in Arrandale, then I can still sell mine and do what you're doing, but if not - I have something I am more than content keeping.
     
  4. TheStigger thread starter macrumors newbie

    TheStigger

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2010
    #4
    Thanks for replies guys.

    Unfortunately not a student so no discount.

    Im on the verge of buying a new 13' MB990b/A for £760 delivered. I hope to get back £600/£650 when these darned new models get launched. This HP laptop cost me the same money over 5 years ago and its been a great backup machine but time to get onto the Mac Book Pro ladder at long last.:)
     
  5. ansabakhan macrumors 65816

    ansabakhan

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2010
    #5
    u dont have to ba student your self to get the discount .. my brother bought it for his daughter and got 15% discount.
     

Share This Page