Buy Series 3 or wait for Series 4?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MTD616, May 8, 2018.

?

Wait or not to wait?

1. Series 3

2. Series 4

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. MTD616 macrumors newbie

I am really excited to purchase my very first Apple Watch. Question is, should I purchase the Series 3 or wait for the 4 to be released in September? I’m very antsy and not sure if I can wait that long. I’ve read about the 4 having a bigger screen and longer battery life. Do you think it’s worth the wait?

2. hojoon0724 macrumors regular

there will always be a new version on the horizon ALWAYS. Get it now if you really want it.
    grand scheme of things, the timing won't matter much

3. AtomicGrog macrumors regular

4. Shirasaki macrumors 604

Shirasaki

There is yet to be a certain from Apple that a new watch will come in this year. Waiting for series 4 is kinda gambling I would say.

Go for series 3 if you cannot wait. Series 3 is pretty good based on my experience. I like it. Fast, light, and waterproof.

5. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

If You think you have regret if you purchase the Series 3 now and annApple Watch Series 4 launches four months from now and In September, then I would certainly just wait if you can, which is highly likely it will launch given that the Apple Watch is in need of a refresh physically after three years of the same design.

There is one substantial rumor from a reliable analyst stating that a Series 4 Apple Watch will launch in the fall:

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/03/27/apple-watch-series-4-redesign-rumor/amp/

6. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Buy the 3 now and then the 4 upon release. Then you don’t have to ask this question again :cool:

7. CaptMarvel macrumors 65816

CaptMarvel

Buy AW3 now, sell it/trade it towards the AW4 if you feel you cannot wait.

8. gollum macrumors regular

My solution was to buy a S1 for $180 at Walmart.

9. MTD616 thread starter macrumors newbie

I found this pic, not sure how accurate it is though.

Attached Files:

10. jeyf macrumors 6502a

will the watch run the whole day

11. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

That’s a self generated render and _not_ official from Apple, we don’t know if Will resemble anything like that at all, given that this is partially going to be a redesign for the Series 4.

12. MandiMac macrumors 6502

My series 0 is slowly falling apart - gyro sensor not working, battery is wonky. Fixing it would run me 200+ so I‘m waiting for the 4. :)

13. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

For OP: You have all summer and a wait of at least 4/5 months for a new watch. Buy the Series 3 now, enjoy it, sell it in the fall and get the new one. I was going to wait, but I got the series 3 and really enjoying it, but I will sell it in the fall for a small loss and enjoy it now.

14. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

if you badly want one buy now. I would wait though personally as the price will drop i'm sure when series 4 is out.

15. nnoble macrumors 6502

Keep in mind the AW3 has only just been released in places like Denmark, India. See Macrumors article.

16. Clevans macrumors regular

I was having this debate too, I have a series 0 and wanted to upgrade but wasn’t sure if I wanted to wait until the fall for a series 4. Then I got an email that Best Buy has series 3s for $50 off and that was the push I needed to get it now. So far I’m loving it and am very happy with my decision

17. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

We don’t know that Series 3 will remain in Apples lineup when and if the Series 4 actually does launch in the fall. Apple very well could discontinue the Series 3 and then perhaps the Series one could be updated with the new processor being the entry-level model. Similarly to what Apple did by discontinuing the Series 2 when they introduced the Series 3, the Series 3 could be discontinued when they introduce the Series 4.

18. Aml216 macrumors 6502a

Aml216

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    I’d wait the for the S4. I’ve had the S1 since launch and am excited at upgrading this year.

19. satchmo macrumors 68000

True, but I think there will be plenty of stock around to pick up a Series 3 at a bargain.

I wonder if Apple plans to give us a Series 4 teaser at WWDC with a fall launch. Not sure if they did that for the Series 3.

Of course that might just kill Series 3 sales, but they've been doing a few pre-launch announcements of late (HomePod, AirPower, iMac Pro).

20. Malcster macrumors 6502

Am on a Series 0 which still works fine, waiting for Series 4, the rumours of a redesign are enough to justify the wait to me, suspect it'll be announced with the new iPhone in Sept which isn't a long wait either.

The performance of the series 0 is however pretty poor now so i'll upgrade to 4 regardless of whether its redesigned or not!

21. MTD616 thread starter macrumors newbie

I’m hoping the redesign of the series 4 won’t be a circular shape. If it is, I’ll opt for the 3 when it’s discounted when the 4 comes out.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

I would say the chances of a circular Apple Watch are literally zero to none. I believe Apple will retain the current design, perhaps tweak the casing or form factor slightly, but I don’t believe Apple has a circular Apple Watch anytime soon releasing.

23. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

just got a series 3 for my birthday.....thinking about returning it and getting series 4.
    Things I care about:
    - health tracking
    - design

That do you guys think?

24. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

Well since a series 4 hasn't been released yet you'll be waiting at least until September so I imagine you'll be sitting on that gift card for a while. You might as well enjoy you're free Apple watch now.

25. MandiMac macrumors 6502

I‘d go with @squirrrl - get used to the series 3, wait for the announcement of S4 and then decide. The 3 is an awesome device on its own :)