Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackengineer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
I have cMBP 13 2012
Cpu : i5 2.5
Ram : 8GB (OWC4*2gb)
HDD 500gb

I should buy ssd 850 pro 256gb for my cMBP or sell my cMBP for MBA 13 2014.
I dont play game. I use solidworks and abaqus.
What is the best choice.
Thankyou

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I have cMBP 13 2012
HDD 500gb

What is the best choice.
Thankyou

The Air will still be faster than the 850 Pro since the Air uses a PCIe SSD.

But it's up to you. I'd stick back with the cMBP if it still serves your needs.

arcite

macrumors 6502a
Advantages of buying a new computer is getting a fresh battery, fresh hardware, valid warrenty, plus slightly more advanced processors ect...
On the other hand, upgrading the hard drive is a minor cost that will extend the life of your current machine by a year or more, at which point, newer more advanced machines will be out. Also, the display on your MBP has better colour fidelity than the Air.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Definitely buy an SSD, and don't go for 850 Pro unless you have tons of money to waste.

Your computer is still a good one, it just has a slow HDD. Any modern SSD will do wonders.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Definitely buy an SSD, and don't go for 850 Pro unless you have tons of money to waste.

Your computer is still a good one, it just has a slow HDD. Any modern SSD will do wonders.
Follow this advice!
Get the cheapest ssd you can find (should be crucial) and enjoy :)

blackengineer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Follow this advice!
Get the cheapest ssd you can find (should be crucial) and enjoy :)

crucial M550
crucial mx100
plextor m6pro
samsung 840 pro
samsung 850/840 evo
what is the best for mac OS X.
I need stability.

thank you for feedback

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
crucial M550
crucial mx100
plextor m6pro
samsung 840 pro
samsung 850/840 evo
what is the best for mac OS X.
I need stability.

thank you for feedback

I agree with Meister on this one. Unless you are sitting there with a stopwatch or running benchmark apps, you will notice zero difference among those drives in day to day usage and those are all good drives.

Just get the cheapest. Last I checked a week or so ago I think the cheapest on Amazon was the Crucial MX100.

kdotv23

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2014
I have cMBP 13 2012
HDD 500gb

What is the best choice.
Thankyou
My brother has the same computer and i recently swapped his with a Crucial M550 and he LOVES it! The difference in speed is night and day compared to an HDD. Save your money and just buy an SSD instead of putting more money in to another computer for now

MarvinHC

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2014
Belgium
I will check the difference of mx100 and m550.
thank you for feedback

From what I have been reading (also in light of upgrading the exact same MBP as yours), I would personally go for the MX100. In benchmarks it is between the M500 and the M550 but pricewise quite a bit cheaper than the M550 (where I live at least). Seems to be the best value for money for me.

You might find these articles interesting:

http://loneplacebo.com/macbook-pro-crucial-m500-ssd-upgrade/

http://www.custompcguide.net/the-differences-between-crucial-mx100-vs-m500-and-m550-ssd/

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I'd get a 850 evo instead. None of your uses would really need a pro, which is for really heavy usage and a lot of writes.

I'd also keep your current laptop. The air wouldn't be much of an upgrade once you get an ssd.

blackengineer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
In my country MX100 and M550 and plextor m6pro have same price.
What is the best choice for me?

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
In my country MX100 and M550 and plextor m6pro have same price.
What is the best choice for me?

I don't know the Plextor as well as the others, but as far as the Crucial goes, if it's the same price get the M550 over the MX100. Performance is a little better and Crucial support is going to be the same for each.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I'd get a 850 evo instead. None of your uses would really need a pro, which is for really heavy usage and a lot of writes.

I'd also keep your current laptop. The air wouldn't be much of an upgrade once you get an ssd.

I really don't see the advantage in real-world use of the Samsung besides it being more expensive than a MX100. Yet, there's always at least one person that jumps and recommends Samsung drives without any clear reason why other than it being Samsung.

I've used both Crucial(mx100 & m500) and Samsung(840) and I have not been able to see a difference, other than their price.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I don't know the Plextor as well as the others, but as far as the Crucial goes, if it's the same price get the M550 over the MX100. Performance is a little better and Crucial support is going to be the same for each.

Crucial+1

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
I really don't see the advantage in real-world use of the Samsung besides it being more expensive than a MX100. Yet, there's always at least one person that jumps and recommends Samsung drives without any clear reason why other than it being Samsung.
You make it sound like a Samsung recommendation is unwarranted. They're only the gold standard that every other SSD is compared against the last few years. Across the board, they are know for almost perfectly balanced performance, excellent reliability, at a very competitive price. The Crucial drives are excellent as well, but geez, throwing terms around like "fanboy" as though suggesting a Samsung drive in a discussion about SSDs is somehow irrational? :rolleyes:

Oh, and he was making a point about the Evo would make more sense than the Pro, which is overkill for the OP's usage.

SkimMilk168

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2014
Singapore
I've been recommending the Crucial MX100 as it's cheap. Don't see a point to pay premium for Samsung when normal consumers can't feel the difference in the SSDs.

blackengineer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
I chose crucial m550 256gb.
I will buy it tomorrow.
Thank you for feedback and sorry for my english skill haha.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
You make it sound like a Samsung recommendation is unwarranted. They're only the gold standard that every other SSD is compared against the last few years. Across the board, they are know for almost perfectly balanced performance, excellent reliability, at a very competitive price. The Crucial drives are excellent as well, but geez, throwing terms around like "fanboy" as though suggesting a Samsung drive in a discussion about SSDs is somehow irrational? :rolleyes:

Oh, and he was making a point about the Evo would make more sense than the Pro, which is overkill for the OP's usage.

He said "I'd get a 850 Evo instead" without any rational or reasoning behind his statement beyond comparing it to the pro drive. That's the problem. He gave no other reason why to choose the drive, other than it being Samsung.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004

I've used both Crucial(mx100 & m500) and Samsung(840) and I have not been able to see a difference, other than their price.

Samsung rates really well in reliability

plastictoy

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2014
Samsung rates really well in reliability

Samsung is mainly the performance king. For the same size, they mostly take all the benchmarks and often real-world tests. They're likely the first to adopt the next generation of SSDs, shown with their XP941 and the successor recently announced while others still struggle to even move past SATA. The advantages of having everything made in-house.

But I've heard their RMA process is a bit unfriendly so Crucial/Sandisk/Intel seem to be better if you do have problems. All these drives, if fine from the factory and shows no quirks initially, will likely last a decade. I'd be worried about other components inside that go bad before the actual NAND.

Samsung doesn't have much of a premium nowadays when compared to other brands. Considering the 850 Pro introduced layered V-NAND, I expect some higher costs for that investment but over time the prices remain quite competitive and fall in line with the average market expectations. You pay higher due to different controllers and speeds but every brand has their own tiers of performance and account for the difference accordingly. Sandisk Ultra/Extreme, Crucial's MX100/M550, Intel's 3/5/7, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.