Buy SSD now on sale or wait?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chiuy, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Chiuy macrumors 6502

I see this awesome agility 3 60GB on sale for less than $75 with tax and free shipping. That's almost $1.00 a GB!!!
    But, I'm afraid I might not have enough memory but it looks like a deal it's hard to come by.

If I get it, what's the actual usable memory on the 60GB?
    I plan on installing Photoshop CS5/Adobe Premiere CS5, 2 games (Wow and TF2), other files such as skype, im, microsoft office, etc.

Adobe = 10GB max
    OSx = 5GB
    Games = 15GB
    Microsoft = 1GB
    etc. = 5-10GB max

If I put all my pictures and movies on an external, is 60GB enough?
    I'm going to be a first time SSD owner, so should I start with something small? This is pretty cheap.
    As of right now, I'm using 90GB of storage, but 50GB is like movies/pictures.

2. seong macrumors 65816

seong

You can always go with the Optibay route if you want to. I myself is on a same situation as you are, but I'm thinking of saving some money up for 300GB or 512GB SSD around 2012, when the SSDs are certainly going to be cheaper than this year.
    If you want to pull the trigger, go ahead and do it. It doesn't seem like a bad idea. Maybe buy two of them and put one in the optibay. You might want to check with how it works well with Macs. Some SSDs have compatibility issues with Mac. It's not usually a huge problem because firmware updates should fix the issues.

3. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

I also see a Solid 3 from OCZ on sale for $159.99, 120GB.
    Hmm... decisions... is Solid3 somewhat reliable?

4. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

60 gb is more than enough to use as an app/boot os drive.

just store all ur media/files on an external hd.

that's what i do with my intel g2 80 gb... installed all my apps and os and still have like 40 GB left.

also use xslimmer if u want more space.

5. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, rebates from OCZ, are they reliable?
    I keep reading reviews that sometimes people don't get their rebates at all.

6. Fugue macrumors 6502

I wouldn't recommend any OCZ drive simply due to reliability issues. If you are willing to compromise reliability for performance, go ahead and buy either the Agility, Vertex or Solid drives.

I'm sure the rebates will work just fine, especially from Newegg.

7. Jungiii macrumors member

I have used OCZ for Ram sticks for the 8gb upgrade. They were helpful when i had questions via email, and when i asked about details in packaging for the rebate they were very helpful. The whole transaction was smooth and i received my rebate fast, within 7 days.

EDIT: definitely recommend.

8. Chiuy thread starter macrumors 6502

What do you guys think I should go far?

On NewEgg, the Solid 3 120GB cost $203.97 up in front, then with a $30 rebate later on, bringing the total to $173.

Or... on Amazon, I can get the better Agility 3 120GB for $199.99, no tax, 2 day free shipping cause of Prime.

Who would you choose/get?
    I hear NewEgg is really good about replacing your SSD if it does fail for the first 3 months or so?
    But what about Amazon? Is it easy to get your SSD replaced?

9. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

if this is for your 13in 2011 mac, i believe it is SATA III you can invest in a san force controller. I would invest in an intel (510 or 320)or OWC SSD, they will grant you 500 read/write for 120GB - 160GB for $200

Not such a bad price considering how much SSD's used to cost and the insane performance, most non-sanforce driven SSD's are half these speeds and OWC (mainly) and intel are very apple friendly!

OWC and intel (?) have a 3 year warranty :D