Buy the 4G or wait?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by landlboy, Oct 24, 2011.

1. landlboy macrumors newbie

Would it be pointless to buy the 4G Touch at this point? Should I just wait it out and hope the 5G comes out soon?

2. rattler macrumors member

The "new" iPod touch was just released a few weeks ago. There won't be an update for at least another year.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'll be waiting almost a year for the next iPod Touch.

4. Brucewl macrumors 6502

Brucewl

If you want to wait for the next generation ipod touch. You need to wait for one more year.

5. Thetonyk123 macrumors 68000

Thetonyk123

If you have enough money you can buy a iPhone 4S off contract.

6. ThereGoesJB, Oct 25, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

ThereGoesJB macrumors regular

i think this is a tough decision, and I've been wrestling with it too since it probably will be a year before the next release unfortunately. I personally will prob keep using my ipod classic until a new edition comes out.

I didnt think the ipod touch 4 was worth it for me when it first came it so i am trying to remind myself that if it wasnt worth it then, then it shouldnt be worth it now.

but it depends what you plan to use it for i guess, id like it to be able to replace my point and shoot. Plus 256 mb of ram is already behind the other IOS devices.
    If you already have an earlier generation ipod touch then i dont think its worth it, ...or if there is any chance you might get an iphone in the next year or so.

good luck

***EDIT***

Going used would probably be the way to go on this if you really dont want to wait. I say be patient and find a decent used one.

7. mattg3 macrumors 6502

No one 100 percent sure it will be a full year.

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

...and no one is 100% sure that there will be a new model next year.:p

9. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

Brilliant. If you have enough money, you can buy anything.

10. Jarred1 macrumors newbie

I am thinking of buying a 32g 4g ipod touch and was wondering if there is any downfall to this device. Right now i have a 2g on ios4.2.1 and its a piece of junk imo.

11. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Haha okay that's obvious .. But I think he's got a point, for the same price level with iPhone4 was last year, we have better cpu/camera and siri. Compared to last year when you can mock around since both iPod and iPhone share the same CPU.

Plus Apple has been acting slow on iPods lately, you can say they start to neglect them. Slow to non regular updates and all.

So if OP really want an iPod touch, no need to wait, this iPod maybe already on its peak performance.

12. iEvolution macrumors 65816

I honestly don't see Apple leaving the iPod Touch with the A4 processor for another year. It puts app developers in a crunch, they either have to refrain from using the latest benefits of the A5 processor to meet compatibility with the Touch or develops end up programming for the A5 and leave the millions of iPod Touch users in the dust.

They've screwed up the typical update cycle this year so perhaps the iPod Touch will see a mid-year refresh.

But who knows, I guess they think by holding the Touch back people will jump to the iPhone.

13. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I bought a 4G white touch a few days ago, dunno but I found it very laggy even with no apps opened in the background.

14. Noisemaker Guest

If by "soon" you mean "a year from now" then yeah. Go for it.

15. Cobster macrumors member

Wait for sure...

Keep waiting - wait for the 12G... It'll come...just wait... Oh and the day after you buy the 12G - Apple will announce the 13G model....;)

16. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I'd go ahead and buy the 4th gen. The 5th gen won't be around until sometime next year.

17. Widashy macrumors regular

Widashy

Go and buy the iPod Touch 4G now in white.... Don't wait another year or so for update...:)