Buy the BRANDnew MBP now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by alaxy75, Oct 14, 2008.

1. alaxy75 macrumors newbie

Hey guys!
    I'm a total :apple: newbie! At the beginning of the year, I planned buying a MBP in July for my school...erm..graduation (I hope you know what I'm trying to say^^ I'm Austrian ;) ). I was so carzy for it... But then I started following the entire speculation-period and decided to wait for the redesigned notebooks. And finally my craze became a little more bearable! ;)

Finally the new MBs and MBPs are here - and I still don't know what to do. University starts in October 2009 (!), so I don't necessarily need a notebook for work. The only real reasons for buying it NOW would be: - i could have lots of fun with it, - i could get used to mac, - i could satisfy my "thirst".......

So, what am I waiting for? I could wait for an upgrade... maybe there'll be a bigger hard disc or whatever... I doubt I would need it, because the mbPRO is extremely powerful already. Another thing that really bothers me: What about those so-called "new-product defects" [edit: than could occur]? What if after some months or after half a year suddenly a defects starts to appear in many of the redesigned MacBooks?? Then I'd be so pissed!!!!! In how far is the 1-year buyer's guarantee on my side when it comes to these defects?? :confused: :confused:

To be honest, I'm still not quite sure wether to buy the MB or the MBP...but I'll have it for the next years and then it'll be my only computer, so I'd really appreciate a bigger screen, especially for watching movies and photoshopping.. Anyway.

Thanks for your advice!! :)
    Best regards from Austria!

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

1) Laptops age 2x as fast as desktops. A year is a long time in laptop advancement.

2) What new product defects? The new MB/MBPs just came out. I don't know of any defects yets. It will take a month or two to find out, but I've never owned any Mac laptop that didn't have some defect of some sort. It's just the nature of having to design and manufacture a high tech product on such a short schedule.

3) If you truly don't need a laptop now its silly to buy it now. Rule of thumb is the smart money only buys when needed. But if you want a toy, go ahead. It is hard to resist. :) Just keep in mind its going to feel a little long in the tooth somewhere around the middle of your Sophomore year.

Here is the thing... you think by buying the latest you are "futureproofing" yourself and that new models will just have things like bigger HD. But they also have faster graphics, RAM, etc which s/w makers take advantage of so that the latest s/w is optimized for the latest hardware. That means your 3 y.o. laptop is going to be sluggish when Photoshop CS7 comes out.

3. alaxy75 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, sorry - i didn't mean that there are some defects already. i was talking about them in genereal! ;)

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I realize that. I was being facetious. Any given model can have defects. It doesn't matter if its a brand new model or it's the 4th generation. New parts = new potential issues, and each new generation has new parts different from the past.

5. alaxy75 thread starter macrumors newbie