iPad Buy the iPad Air or wait till February?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Rob2506, Nov 26, 2013.

  1. Rob2506 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2012
    Location:
    Birmingham, UK
    #1
    Hi Ive got the iPad 3rd gen but really want to get the iPad air as mine is now slow with IOS7. But my question is should I buy one now e.g. black friday and run up to christmas or wait till mid February when Apple normally holds an iPad event?
     
  2. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #2
    Apple isn't going to hold another iPad event so close to the one they just had. The iPad air is not going to be updated in 6 months. I'd say get one on black friday to save yourself some $$
     
  3. marc55 macrumors 6502a

    marc55

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2011
    #3
    I also have the iPad-3, and was going to post something very similar.

    I read a rumor about a 13" iPad, and am thinking I want to wait to see what if that comes to fruition.

    A 13" iPad might be nice, so now I'm on the fence with spending the $$ on the Air now, as I really don't need to upgrade.

    Worst case is we would have to wait till next October, but again, our iPad 3 is doing the job, so no real rush.
     
  4. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #4
    Generally I'd say buy when you need it. There's ALWAYS something newer/better right around the corner.

    However, Black Friday deals are typically among the best deals to be found on popular Apple products.

    As for your thoughts about a spring event; what makes you think the iPad Air that was just released is going to be replaced in under six months?
     
  5. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2013
    #5
    Buy the Air, if there are very firm rumors of a new one coming out, just sell it before the event...there will still be plenty of people not knowing about the new iPad, and you could sell the Air very easily and close to purchase price (depending on condition)
     
  6. darngooddesign macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta, GA
    #6
    Do you want the iPad now, or in a couple of months?
     
  7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

    Chupa Chupa

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    #7
    Apple hasn't held a Feb iPad event since the iPad 3. The new model launch season is now Fall. Don't expect an Air update until next fall.
     
  8. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Aug 28, 2013
    #8
    Definitely don't wait to take advantage of all the new great technology that goes into the iPad Air. Get it now. If you want the next iPad too, sell the one you've got and buy into the new model like most of us do. There's really no point torturing yourself waiting around for next gen products all the time. Just buy in now and start enjoying these incredible products.
     
  9. hologram macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 12, 2007
    #9
    You don't seem to need one now, so wait till Feb,. and if they don't release one then, wait till the next rumored release. And the next. You'll eventually get one.

    If you need/want it now, buy it now.
     
  10. Rob2506, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

    Rob2506 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2012
    Location:
    Birmingham, UK
    #11
    hmm ok thank you for all the advice. I wasn't sure when the iPad 4th gen was realised so just presumed it was Feb like the 3rd gen. I think I'm gonna go ahead and buy one within the next month (before christmas day). I would wait but I'm fed up of how slow its now running compared to my iPhone 5.

    Now, could I ask what do you think I should sell my iPad 3rd gen for?
    I was thinking about £320 as its Black iPad 3rd gen 32GB WiFi and Cellular in mint condition, with a red leather smart cover, transparent rubber/silicone back cover and 2 screen protectors. I have original packaging for both the iPad and smart cover. Also I have the original charger (which is in good condition).
     
  11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #12
    If you want a new iPad, go to Target this weekend. New iPad Air 16GB is $479 with $100 gift card. Trade in your old iPad for at least $200. I'm not sure if the Airs with more storage are $20 less than MSRP, but you will get the gift card still.

    And as always, if you have a Red Card you'll save 5 percent. That's $25 on a $500 purchase.
     
  12. osx11 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2011
    #13
    I'd wait until August of next year. :cool:
     
  13. deeddawg macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2010
    Location:
    US
    #14
    Thought that offer expired Nov 9th, did Target resurrect it? Link?

    Either way, seems the OP is in the UK so not really applicable. ;)
     
  14. nostresshere macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2010
    #15
    The $200 tradein deal is gone. They still take tradeins, but at a much lower price in most cases.
     
  15. sracer macrumors 603

    sracer

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2010
    Location:
    Land of Bongos and Beatniks
    #16
    If iOS 7 made your iPad 3 slow, why would you "reward" the company by buying another one of their products? (rhetorical question)

    My advice is to wait. I have had good success with waiting 3-4 months after the release of a new generation iPad before purchasing it to get a defect-free unit. Perhaps Apple will iron out the wrinkles in iOS 7 by then (because it is still fairly rough on even the Air). Maybe they'll provide another mid-gen bump (like they did with 3 -> 4).

    I'm not talking about playing the perpetual waiting game, just long enough for some things to shake out. If they fix iOS 7, then maybe performance will be better on your 3 long enough to last another season or two.
     
  16. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 3, 2013
    #17
    Do they have Targets in the UK?
     
  17. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2010
  18. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #19
    +1... waiting is always good, you'll probably get a better build in February as Apple and any HW manufacturer makes silent HW revisions.
     
  19. nStyle macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 6, 2009
    #20
    Wait. Definitely wait. Waiting is better, you'll always get something better if you wait. In fact, when the next iPad is released, you should keep waiting. Then wait after that one. Hell, just keep waiting. Don't buy, just wait. Why buy now when the there is going to be something better if you had only waited? Again, wait.
     
  20. LordQ macrumors 68040

    LordQ

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2012
    #21
    I'd actually wait for the iPad 6 with Touch ID, the A8, iOS 8, improved cameras and [insert killer feature].
     
  21. mcdj macrumors 604

    mcdj

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2007
    Location:
    NYC
    #22
    The only thing more tedious than the 1.000th "buy or wait?" question of the week is the requisite "wait for the ipad xx" reply. Oh, haha how did you ever come up with something so original and clever? Should I laugh at that joke now, or wait for a better one in the next identical thread?

    What baffles me is the spike in these threads right after a release. Seriously people? The Air's paint isn't even dry and you're worried about it being obsolete or replaced in the next 15 minutes? Apple couldn't do that if they tried.

    Just get off the internet. Call your ISP and pull the plug. Go whittle some wood. Visit a petting zoo. Learn to rhumba. Anything. Come back when your logic and critical thinking reserves have had a chance to replenish they selfs.
     
  22. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2008
    #23
    Well that makes my whole thing moot!
     
  23. s2mikey macrumors 68020

    s2mikey

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2013
    Location:
    Upstate, NY
    #24
    Nah, I'm waiting for the iPad 14 with 40 gigs of RAM, full body touch ID, the A 14 chip and Leica quality cameras. :rolleyes: :D
     
  24. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

    rockyroad55

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Location:
    Phila, PA
    #25
    You could always take advantage of the holiday return policy for that
     

Share This Page