Buy the new MacBook or the old one? (I've never owned a Mac before)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by yourdream, Oct 15, 2008.

1. yourdream macrumors regular

What do you think I should get? The new MacBook or the old one? The new one does not have a firewire port, and is more expensive, but is lesser weight and aluminum. But the old one has a firewire port and I CAN GET IT FOR ONLY $1.099.99 Canadian Dollars. (reduced price and also lower then the Canadian Apple Store) And I will be using the laptop mainly for school work, and maybe a bit of online web browser games, and browsing blogs. I don't know if I should wait for the new model to come out in retail stores or just buy the old plastic model.

Is it worth waiting and buying the new model? By the way, I'VE NEVER OWNED A MAC before and my laptop is very old (It is a Sony VAIO running Windows XP and it weighs 8.04 pounds.)

2. markintellect macrumors member

If you don't need the better graphics, which you would only need if you played games like SPORE, CoD4 etc, then you don't need it. They will stop making the white MacBooks once they get the costs of the new manufacturing technique and chipset down, which should only be in a few months.

3. yourdream thread starter macrumors regular

But will the upcoming Snow Leopard work with the old plastic MacBook?

By the way, I appreciate your response.

4. Aztec macrumors regular

Snow Leopard will surely work with the old MacBook but the thing with Snow Leopard is it takes advantage of the Video memory to run smoother. So the better integrated graphics on the MacBook is a plus.