Buy the next iphone

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Black.Infinity, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Black.Infinity, Aug 26, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2012

Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

Hello

I am sure there are people like me here too. I have an iphone 4 in working condition and no big issue.
    If you ware in my place would you sell it and wait for the new iphone.
    Iphone 4/4s owners who plan to upgrade please respond

Thanks

2. Bauer24 macrumors regular

If I was eligible for an upgrade subsidy, yes. If not, no.

3. Black.Infinity thread starter macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

Thanks and I am not eligible for renewing my contract

4. Meitou macrumors member

I agree, if you can renew your contract then do it. If not, wait for the updated version next year.

5. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I would. You have a two year old phone now. Selling your old one should give you enough cash to put towards the purchase.

6. Bauer24 macrumors regular

True. I should clarify, the reason for my response was that if there was a subsidy then it's obviously a no brainer because the sale cost of the used phone would fully cover (and then some) the cost of the new phone.

However the decision is tougher if I don't have a subsidy because I'd have to contribute more money. So I wouldn't sell NOW, I'd wait until the phone was released for the features and specs to be clear then I'd decide if it was worth it to sell and contribute extra funds.

7. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

But I tend to sell my 16GB for about 350-400 (last year iPhone 4) and I paid $250 extra for the retail price. That's like buying a new one with contract price.

8. Bauer24 macrumors regular

Sure, but it's still the difference between getting a free phone (paying the contract price minus your sale) versus getting a phone for $250 (paying retail minus your sale).

Either way, if you cannot get a contract price you're paying more which to me warrants waiting until you see the specs on the new device. That way you can properly decide if the specs are worth the retail price.

9. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Compared to the iPhone 4, the next iPhone should be a great buy regardless of specs because of the time gap. I always take a chance by selling before an announcement. Word travels fast here and the amount of people willing to buy drops right after announcement.

10. Bauer24 macrumors regular

Yeah, it *should* be a great buy (and probably will be). I just like to have all the facts and prefer not to wholly speculate.

That being said, you're right, I should sell asap if I decide I want the new one since the market will shrink drastically after the new phone is announced/released.

11. jefbond macrumors member

I'm not eligible until mid-December of this year, and my iPhone 4 is about a year and a couple months old with AppleCare and in perfect shape, other than the home button slightly sticking. My plan:

• Purchase next iPhone within a week or so of when it's released, paying full-price and purchasing it unlocked.
    • Make a Genius Bar appointment to replace my phone for the sticking home button under warranty.
    • Sell the replacement without ever using it, with almost 1 year of warranty left on eBay.
    • (This one I plan on doing, but I'll make my final decision when the time comes as it may affect my next eligibility with another version next time) When I'm eligible for my upgrade in December, using my upgrade to buy the same phone (or maybe with different storage capacity) at the discounted price and then selling one of the two.

12. EdwardMurphy, Aug 27, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

EdwardMurphy macrumors newbie

I am fond of Apple products perhaps friends of mine insisted me to try for latest Samsung smart phones. Is everything fine with iPhone? Why they said that I will get more benefit to use Samsung over iPhone? But I am damn sure, No one beat iPhone strategy !!!