Buy the X outright or Apple Upgrade Program

mbrink12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
I'm not a part of the Apple Upgrade Program, so I feel like I will be at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to preordering it. I've got the X saved in my favorites to where I can go and just click either the 64 or the 256 and preorder it. Money isnt a major issue and could do the IUP but I dont want to miss out on the X because I'm not enrolled in the IUP, so what would be the best route to get one this Friday?

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I'm not a part of the Apple Upgrade Program, so I feel like I will be at a bit of a disadvantage when it comes to preordering it. I've got the X saved in my favorites to where I can go and just click either the 64 or the 256 and preorder it. Money isnt a major issue and could do the IUP but I dont want to miss out on the X because I'm not enrolled in the IUP, so what would be the best route to get one this Friday?
It's strictly preference on your behalf. But if you can purchase the iPhone out right and own it, that's the route I would go. That way you're free to do so what you want with it and you're not under any contract and obligations. I personally would rather own something out right versus make payments on it.

mbrink12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
It's strictly preference on your behalf. But if you can purchase the iPhone out right and own it, that's the route I would go. That way you're free to do so what you want with it and you're not under any contract and obligations. I personally would rather own something out right versus make payments on it.
Thats what I was thinking. Apple iPhone Upgrade Program doesnt allow you to be pre-approved. Plus if I want to upgrade the next year, I can sell it and make some money back. I dont want to be waiting for a long time to get the X. My 6 is about to kick the bucket.

Reactions: Relentless Power

mbrink12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2017
op I always buy mine outright. Not saying there is anything wrong with paying in installments but that’s just not how I do things.
This is my first upgrade in 3 years. Had the 2 year contract with the 6. Just makes sense to buy outright cause you could probably re-sell it for $600+ in a years time.