Buy This Macbook?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rpicker03, Apr 29, 2010.

1. rpicker03 macrumors newbie

Someone from my work is trying to sell his Macbook. Its black 2.16 Core2Duo, He states the batter will not hold a charge works on the charger though. He said that it doesnt have and operating software because he lost the discs and cant restore it after he put in a new 200 gb harddrive to upgrade it. He says it boots with the apple logo and everything ...he said everything worked...He just got a MAC Pro for his birthday so hes selling his macbook.

is it worth it to buy the battery and say leopard software or what...I would like a mac and it seems cheap...is this doable!

thanks
    FNG

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

With all those issues, 200$ sounds better though may still be too much. Ask him to fix it or offer like 150$

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can buy Snow Leopard for 29USD and use that as installation DVD.

Go to Mac2Sell.net and see for yourself if the price is right. Btw, a MB battery will cost around 90 to 120 USD.

4. rpicker03 thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought i herd something like it had to be mac specific or something..So i couldnt use someone elses copy of the os that came with their mac. Also ebaY has batteries for 40-100 dolars. I gues i should get the batery from someone reputable though So your saying 75 for a battery and i can get snow leopard for 30 dollars and instal it on this macbook?...so thats 105 plus 325=430..is that decent for that laptop....also hoping that when i put all this stuff in it works and isnt somehow broke

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Any retail version of OS X works but install discs that came with certain Mac are system specific

I would still offer less than that, seeing that he don't use it anymore and it's not working, you can easily get the price down

6. rpicker03 thread starter macrumors newbie

so where would be a cheap place to buy leopard or snow leopard to put on there.
    thanks

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You don't need Leopard to install Snow Leopard. Snow Leopard can be had for 29 USD everywhere Mac related software is sold.

Leopard will be more expensive and can be had via eBay or any other online auction house.

8. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

Snow Leopard is $30 at any Apple Store or reseller. Leopard is $100 more than that.

s.

9. rpicker03 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. rpicker03 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried to get him to go lower but he insisted 325 cause its worth it he says and it works fine.

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, if the battery doesn't work and it has no OS, how can it work fine :confused:

12. rpicker03 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think he meant it worked fine before he put the new harddrive in and couldnt restore the os...I dunno..
    When he says the computer runs fine as long as its on charge but when he takes it off the charger it dies right away is that for sure a battery problem i would hate for it to be a logic board or something like that

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So he says that it works but on the other hand it doesn't? If it doesn't work when you buy it, don't pay the price he asks... It can be a logic board issue as well, so ask him to buy a new battery and install OS X and then pay e.g. 400$ for it, much better than buying it and then recognizing that it's busted

14. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Leopard was a Major release that introduced several new features that improved the user's OS experience. Snow Leopard was more of a Minor release that made several behind-the-scenes improvements to Leopard. For that reason, it was marketed $100 below the usual new cat price. Even the name (adding the word Snow) was just a minor bump.

The advantages of acquiring Snow Leopard in this case would be price and availability. But, if you desire, you can contact Apple and buy a new set of the restore disks that originally came with the unit. If you do that, they will include the iLife suite of applications which the retail version of Snow Leopard and Leopard do not include.

15. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Hi,

If this was a purchase from a stranger then I would be cautious, but a workmate isn't as likely to sell broken goods.

s.

16. rpicker03 thread starter macrumors newbie

were co workers but we work at seperate headqurters and he was intown for business he leaves in the next couple of days..dont really know him all that well.

17. rpicker03 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok i have a snow leopard disc full install. He said he would sell it for 300 and that was it. He said i can install Snow leopard if i want too before he sells it. Is there anyhthing i need to look for after i install it?

THaANKS
    EVERY BIT OF HELP HELPS ME