Buy Thunderbolt Display now?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by insimbi, Sep 11, 2013.

1. insimbi macrumors 6502

insimbi

I'm looking for a 27" TBD for my MacBook Air. I can get a refurbished from from the Apple Store for a pretty decent discount. Is it worth waiting for a couple months to see if they update it, or would it make more sense to buy the refurbished model now and save some money? Having a hard time making this decision as I could use it now, but I guess I can be patient if needed.
    Also, have there been any screen issues with the 27" TBD at all?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Tough call. If you can wait, it might be worth it. I suspect a new TBD will be released soon along side the new Mac Pro.

There have not been wide problems of issues with the current version though.

3. insimbi thread starter macrumors 6502

insimbi

I think I'll wait until the end of Oct. It makes sense to release a new version along side the new MacPro. I just need to be patient I guess.

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

In all likelihood it will just be a TB 2.0 upgrade. Slim chance Apple may offer a matte and glass option.

I believe (speculate) Apple will also offer a "Pro" 30-34" UHD for an arm and a leg.:eek:

5. insimbi thread starter macrumors 6502

insimbi

Well probably so, but I'd rather wait and get USB 3.0, and MagSafe2. Isn't the current TBD just MagSafe?
    Also, I'm hoping for a thinner design like the iMac. We'll see.

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

If it were me, (and I am in the same situation), I would wait until December. If they haven't released something by December, I might buy a refurb current TB display. They almost have to release an updated version with the new Mac Pro, no?

Also, it was weird that they didn't update the TBD when they updated to the slimmer iMacs...to me that points out waiting for the Mac Pro as well.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, but there is a Magsafe2 adaptor free with the TBD now. See this. I'm using the adaptor with my 2013 MBA now.

8. insimbi thread starter macrumors 6502

insimbi

Right. I have the adapter as well. I just want the real thing built in ;)

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Ahh... gotcha. :)

10. Sparced macrumors regular

Sparced

I really hope we see one in the next few months. After a year of editing with Premiere on nothing but a 15" Macbook Pro I'm ready to make a purchase.

11. suttong macrumors newbie

I am in the same situation - considering the thunderbolt display to use with my macbook air. I decided to wait until the next TBD is released (which could be months or years). In the mean time I have decided to purchase a VGA to mini-display port cable to use with my existing monitor.

12. cxc273 macrumors regular

Unfortunately Apple doesn't really follow some rhyme or reason when releasing updated displays. Since the release of the thinner iMac last year, a lot of people have been waiting for something similar with the Thunderbolt displays.

It's pretty reasonable to assume that Apple will update the current display at some point to make it thinner, plus upgrade the connectivity with USB 3 connections and a MagSafe 2 connector. Whether FireWire or even Ethernet will make the cut is debatable.

To get back to the original poster's question, the best guess right now is the end of October with the roll out of the new version of OS X, the Mac Pro, and Haswell-equipped MacBook Pros.

The current display is really nice. I agree it's a bit of a pain to use the MagSafe 2 adapter with my MacBook Air, but hopefully Apple will get a new display out sooner than later.

13. whodatrr macrumors 6502a

whodatrr

Why, when...

You can buy two Dell Outlet 27" displays, for the price of one Apple Thunderbolt. Seriously, using the Dell outlet coupon, I just got one for about $450 with taxes & shipping. While it doesn't have a Thunderbolt port, I don't really have anything that does aside from my iMac 2 & MBA. It does, however, have a bunch of USB 3.0 ports. I have it sitting beside my Apple display and think the Dell looks a lot better. It's also adjustable, so I can do things like properly align it with the display on my iMac 27. Great bang for the buck! Look for the Dell outlet coupon codes...

One small thing... you'll need to buy a display to mini display port, which I got for ~$15 on Amazon. And it works flawlessly.