Buy thunderbolt display or wait?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ipadlover29, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Ipadlover29 macrumors 6502a

Im trying to decide whether to buy the thunderbolt display now or wait. Im also not sure if the thunderbolt display is the right choice for me. Getting a $1000 monitor so I can play civilization 5: brave new world maybe over kill.

I know that the thunderbolt display is one of the best on the market and the best in terms 1440p monitors. Im currently using a 1080p samsung led tv as my monitor. I would like a higher resolution display (1440p) and a dedicated monitor so its better for my eyes. I did read the thunderbolt display has 16ms response rate so Im not sure if that will be fast enough for me if I play civilization at the higher settings.

I have tried a few 1080p monitors (samsung,asus, lg). I wasnt happy with the controls, build quality or backlight bleeding and dead pixels.

My setup is a late 2013 15"macbook pro retina with dedicated nvidia geforce 750m, 16gb of ram, 512gb ssd.

I would like a monitor with 1440p resolution, ips display, built in speaker and 27" or 32" screen. Budget is around $500.

I would appreciate any suggestions. I do play civilization in bootcamp so the monitor has to be mac and windows compatible.

2. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Pickup a refurb or a used one on Craigslist.

I'm very happy with mine.

If they do release a 4k TBD, your MacBook will probably have a hard time driving it anyway.

3. Ipadlover29, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015

Ipadlover29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. How good would a refurb be? $800 (refurb) vs $1000 (brand new). Theres only a few things I would want in the thunderbolt display that it currently doesnt have. usb 3.0 ports and an anti-glare screen. Very true my macbook would have a hard time running at 4k especially gaming. Im perfectly happy with a 1440p display right now.

Are there any issues with dead pixels or backlight bleeding on the thunderbolt displays?

4. larrysing1963 macrumors regular

I'm a little confused. You say you want a TB display, which you mention are $800 refurb or $1000 new. But you say your budget is $500.

Which is it? Can you spend $1000, or can you spend $500? This answer would help us give you some good information on possible options. Thanks. :)

5. Ipadlover29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm willing to spend $800-$1000 for the Thunderbolt display since it's apple. But, if anyone has any other suggestions for other brands then my budget is around $500. Sorry I know it's confusing. Lol.

Other models I'm looking at that are less than $500:

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765HT...sr=8-1&keywords=benq+gw2765ht#customerReviews

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-K272HUL-...9&sr=8-1&keywords=acer+272hul#customerReviews

6. broadbean macrumors 6502a

Have you consider the Dell U2515H? You can add a Soundbar, but the monitor itself does have a line out. I use USB speakers with mine.

Anyway, you'd have to research if the display is good for gaming.

7. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

I have had zero dead pixels... It's definitely the nicest monitor I have ever used. I have seen used ones going for 500$ cad or less on kijiji here in mtl, but they get snapped up pretty quick. If you target 650, and live in a big city you'll get one within a month. That being said I would grab a refurb from apple and get the 1 year warranty...

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

It makes no sense to buy a new Thunderbolt display now, unless you have money to throw away.

At this time there is no indication from Apple that a replacement is forthcoming. I sense Apple may be on the verge of withdrawing from the "display market".

There are numerous other displays out there that are the "visual equals" of the tbolt display.

Here's a good page to start looking from:
    http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php

9. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I am in the same situation as the OP. I'm in the market for a 1440p display and do NOT want 4K to tax my system unnessarily.

Even at the $799 refurb price, the TBD is just too outdated. I've checked them out in store and they're thick, hot, and have bad reflection. USB 2.0 is the icing on the cake.

I am going to wait until October to see what happens. If Apple doesn't deliver, I'm going for this cheaper, but better specked Dell.

10. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I bought a refurb TBD last summer and have no regrets. Got a very good deal on it and was able to add Apple Care. There are lots of newer, more advanced monitors out there for a cheaper price. But if you don't mind USB 2 and want a clean ducking station with a nice design, I'd totally recommend the TBD. The panel is still great and I haven't had any problems with gaming. That said, I wouldn't buy one full price.

11. Ipadlover29 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys for all your replies. I might consider the dell U2715H, it's currently on sale for $550 here.

12. Fishrrman macrumors G3