Buy Unlocked 4S or not?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bailcam, Oct 6, 2011.

1. bailcam macrumors newbie

I'm planning on purchasing the iPhone 4S for me and my wife at launch. We just found out we will be moving to Germany in 8 months (on military orders). We both have been waiting for the iPhone for a long time as we are Verizon users who didn't jump at the iPhone 4 becuase of anticipating the iPhone 4S/5. Anyway, if I buy an iPhone 4S on contract will Verizon unlock the phone when I move out of country or should I buy unlocked iPhones?

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

They might, you'll want to read the fine print in the contract prior to signing. Currently their contract contains this text as part of the "My Wireless Device" section:

So, it looks like they are not generally opposed to you taking the phone to another carrier.

If you do get a contract phone, you'll have the Early Termination Fee of about $270 per phone to pay if you cancel after 8 months. Still cheaper than buying an unlocked, but I would suggest you have something IN WRITING that states your phones will be unlocked for use with any carrier after your contract ends or is terminated early with fee paid.

3. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Are there good CDMA carriers where you'll be? That should factor into your decision as well. I took my unlocked iPhone (GSM) to Germany last year and had no problems. I just bought a pre-pay Tmobile Sim for it. But I'm not sure about CDMA carriers.