Carrier Buy unlocked from a Verizon retail store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikepj, Sep 14, 2016.

1. mikepj macrumors regular

Does anyone know if a retail Verizon store will sell unlocked iPhones without signing up for a plan? I use Cricket Wireless, but they aren't selling the iPhone 7 yet. With the FCC mandate that Verizon phones be unlocked, I thought that might be my best shot at buying one (I assume that purchasing one at AT&T or Sprint would be carrier-locked).

2. azzamitown macrumors newbie

azzamitown

I worked at a corporate VZW store up until earlier this year, and we were not permitted to sell phones without a plan.

Of course this could vary region to region, but I wouldn't expect it.

3. bufffilm macrumors 601

bufffilm

4. dcgore macrumors member

Just buy the AT&T version of the phone at an Apple retail store. If paid in full, the phone won't be locked to AT&T.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, not going to happen.
    Find someone that has a Verizon wireless account and have them get you one full price.

6. qwertydh macrumors regular

Don't do this. This year the AT&T & T-Mobile models don't support CDMA. Only an option if you only need GSM.

7. dcgore macrumors member

Cricket runs on AT&T's network. No need for CDMA bands.

8. bescobar macrumors newbie

9. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It is really only a concern with resale value (which is poor now regardless of carrier phone) and if you ever plan to switch to verizon/sprint.

10. bescobar macrumors newbie

That information is incorrect.
    Went into the AT&T store to buy a iPhone7 Plus and to pay the full retail price. I was told the phone would ship and be carrier locked. I was told I could then contact AT&T and get a code to unlock the new device.
    I walked out of the store. I contacted an Apple store and told them I wanted an unlocked iPhone 7. They told me that if I ordered the AT&T phone it would be carrier locked and suggested I get a T Mobile phone, unlocked GSM, or a Verizon which would be unlocked for both GSM carriers and CDMA carriers.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

If you buy from Apple that is actually wrong. If you pay for the phone outright it will be unlocked regardless of carrier.

I bought the iPhone 6S outright from apple, ATT version and popped by cricket SIM in. Online may work differently, but in store works.

12. Abs_p macrumors 6502a

Cricket will anyways work on locked AT&T phone because it uses the same network and is it's MVNO. So it's not a good example.

BUT either way, as you said, ALL FULL PRICE phones are unlocked.

13. mikepj thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I'm going to have to take my chances at an Apple Store.