Buy US iPhone 6 Plus and use in UK?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BluePhilG, Sep 22, 2014.

1. BluePhilG macrumors member

I know this has been asked before wrt iPhone 5, I am wondering if anything has changed with the 6/6+

Aside from the tax/import/vat stuff, this is an operational question.

If I buy an iPhone 6 Plus in the USA, will I be able to use it on all 4G networks in the UK?

I'm going there in 2 weeks, for 6 weeks, and I guess it's unlikely there will be stock here in the UK of the 6+ 128G before I leave...

2. jonnyb macrumors 65816

Take a look at this page from Apple. If you want a 6 that works on UK networks it'll need to be the Sprint version, by the looks of things.

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

3. BluePhilG thread starter macrumors member

Aha, perfect, thank you.
    I'd be buying it from an Apple Store, so good to know the exact model number I'd need.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

If you look real close at the BIG WRITING on the linked page, you'd see it says this:

Just go in and ask to buy an off-contract Sprint iPhone 6/6+

Also just noticed, you could buy it depending on the frequency that the network you want to be on uses. For example, I'm with 3 who use the 800Mhz and 1800Mhz spectrum bands. I could buy any GSM iPhone 6 in the US for it to work on those bands.

5. icebergx macrumors regular

Just so you know, you won't be able to buy one of the phones used in the US, in the UK, or vice versa. However, you'll easily be able to use a US phone (depending on the model you choose, of course) in the UK, with a UK sim, as the majority of bands they cover are exactly the same.

6. bob24 macrumors 6502

Are we sure they are unlocked though?

Also if I check on the online Apple Store it does seem to require to create a Sprint account associated to a 2 years contract to order the phone (I can't see a non subsidized option for Sprint - only T-Mobile). Is it different at the brick and mortar stores?

7. ruler22 macrumors member

I don't think you need the Sprint version to use in the UK, the additional bands that are on the Sprint version I believe are really only useful for Asian countries as those bands are used there. From my own research, the bands that are used in the US and UK are on all GSM models of phones I believe.

8. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

You are right, UK uses bands 3,7 and 20. I think all US models cover those bands.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks#Europe

9. BluePhilG thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I did see that, hence thanking you :) Good to know.

This figures... Hence my iPhone 5 gives me a 4G signal on EE and 3 in the UK, and AT&T and T-Mobile in the US.

Thanks everyone.

10. guicane macrumors regular

guicane

When I went to NYC a few years back I bought an apple tv and the apple sales person told me that all products have international warranty apart from iPhones so worth asking about that.

11. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I've had my iPhone replaced in Germany, Spain and Italy. I bought it in the UK.

12. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

WTH do you keep doing to your phone?:eek:

13. makotoisle macrumors 6502

I'm moving to the UK this winter and I added Apple Care+ to my new phone. I made to ask multiple times from different staff and the all confirmed that Apple Care+ is international if you decide to go that route.

14. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I'm not very lucky. Everything I buy breaks.

Bought a brand new car. It wouldn't start when I picked it up.

15. BluePhilG thread starter macrumors member

As the OP, I want to thank you for the great info here. I actually managed to get myself an iPhone 6 this morning in the UK, after securing a reservation in the early hours. Loving the phone :)

Thanks.