BUy used macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by knockknock, Mar 29, 2010.

1. knockknock macrumors member

knockknock

One of my best friends is trying to sell me his MBP: 2.2ghzC2D, 15", only 128mb video:(. ,2gb ram, 250gbHD-upgraded from 120gb
    The price? $500.
    It sounds good at first glance but if I go to Microcenter I can get a brand spanking new macbook (current generation btw) for $800.
    I don't reeally needed but it would be a nice upgrade to my daughters imac.
    Any suggestions?

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I would grab the cheapo 13" macbook, but it's up to you. Upside of the new one is that you have a warranty if something goes wrong.

3. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Make a list of the pros and cons.

The MBP has a bigger screen; firewire; bigger hard drive. The MB will have a greater resale value down the road and it's brand spanking new with a one-year warranty, etc, etc

4. knockknock thread starter macrumors member

knockknock

Thank you for the replies! Still trying to decide
    the MBP still has applecare until July.The big screen and firewire are big plusses.The video card on the other hand ...
    The MB will have the 7 hour battery AND new warranty (will have to buy Applecare later during the year).
    it will take me a while to get the difference; not much of job security lately.

5. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

MBP. Bigger screen, bigger hard drive, firewire, backlit keyboard, cool aluminum, good price. No contest.

6. Coldmode macrumors regular

Seems to me if you don't reeally need it and money is tight, then you needn't worry about upgrading a computer. Why not sit on the money, save it in case things get really bad, then when you have more cash on hand, reconsider getting a new machine?

7. jaforres macrumors member

As said by many before, get the best you can afford because you will more than likely be using the device for a while.

8. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

This is good advice.

Also, the macbook's cost is going to include tax. In MN, the tax comes to around $62.00. So, the macbook will cost you $350-$360 more than the MBP. That's about 70% higher.

9. knockknock thread starter macrumors member

knockknock

Well guys thank you for your responses. I got the MBP at the end. The applecare is good 'till the end of the year plus I got a spek case and the old Hd with it.