Buy used/new MBA or MBP, or just wait

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by imrazor, Mar 24, 2018.

  1. imrazor macrumors member

    imrazor

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2010
    Location:
    Dol Amroth
    #1
    A local retailer has MacBook Airs and Pros on sale this weekend for $150 - $200 off MSRP. I'm torn between waiting for the "education event" in a few days to see if Apple announces a new MacBook Air, or just going ahead and buying a MacBook.

    My usage for this will be strictly casual (web surfing, Youtube video, etc.), but I could find a use for a 16GB laptop running virtual machines (currently relegated to a PC.) However, a MacBook with 16GB would be prohibitively expensive for me - unless I buy used. I'm not sure I want to spend $1000+ on a used machine though.

    I also intend to run some older/lighter games like the original Xcom and Divinity Original Sin. I can get them to run on my 2012 MBP, but they only hit 20fps. The laptop overheats as well, and has other issues.

    My budget is in the $1000 - $1200 range. I really need at least 256GB storage as well, which leaves certain base model laptops out of the picture. There's also a nice Late 2013 15" MBP on the local market, but again I'm hesitant to spend $1100 on an old, used machine.

    Any thoughts on what I should do?
     
  2. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2014
    Location:
    North America
    #2
    Wait. In general you should always wait as long as possible. But in this case the upcoming event may reveal new Mac’s that may be well suited to your use case.
     
  3. kschendel macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 9, 2014
    #3
    The late 2013 might be "old" but it's a nice machine -- what I'm using now, and I feel no need to upgrade any time soon. It's not as light as an Air, but the performance ought to be reasonably close to a new MBA, and the retina screen is lovely. Whether it's a good value at $1100, I can't answer.

    By the way, my money is on no MB/MBA announcement at this event, but that's just my wild guess; I have no inside info one way or the other.
     
  4. smallcoffee macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2014
    Location:
    North America
    #4
    Yea, but it's only two days away... might as well wait.
     

Share This Page