Buy watch-only for subsequent model refreshes

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Pinksteady, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Pinksteady macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

Currently Apple only sell the Apple Watch with a strap, but they can't expect everyone to buy straps again each time they want to upgrade the watch, so it follows that future Apple Watches will be available to buy without a strap?

This would mean a watch-only price would be knowable. I'm guessing it would cost more to buy watch + strap separately than together.

Also, while we don't know Apple's plans for a hardware refresh cycle, on the basis they make changes to the physical hardware, it is quite likely at some point the strap connection size will change (as the watch gets smaller). So at some point, current straps will no longer be compatible with newer watches and you'll have to buy the straps again.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

That's not a given. Watch manufacturers don't typically sell wristwatches without the straps. At this point it's more wishful thinking than anything else.

It'll be quite a few years before the case gets as thin as the connectors so it's a safe bet the current design will stay with us for a while.

3. Pinksteady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pinksteady

I guess my thinking was that the watch hardware is likely to change when the straps aren't, so 'logically'-speaking, it would make sense for people to just upgrade the parts that are changing, but it will be interesting to see what they do. It does seem overly complex to offer a watch-only price so you may be right.

4. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

After a couple years you will probably want a new band for your watch anyway as the old one will have started looking worn and cruddy, and gunked-up with human detritus.

5. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

You also get a set of earpods with every iPhone.

6. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Why not? You have to buy a case every time you buy an iPhone or iPad. Sometimes accessories that worked with one iPhone don't fit another.

Also straps wear out. I have to replace the $150 leather strap on my Baume Mercier about every two years because it forms a crease where the clasp goes and literally splits in half. I'd imagine the rubber and leather bands will look pretty nasty after a couple years if they didn't wear out.

Bottom line: Apple has never imprisoned itself to keep a design just so users can keep using old accessories. It designs the produce it wants to put forward, no holds. Cables, adapters, cases, whatever. Apple abandons these with abandon. So yes, do not assume the band you buy for this years AW is going to fit the slimmer one Apple pushes out (assuming the AW is a success) in a year or two. The band you buy is guaranteed to work with this years AW. That's it.

7. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Hmmm....I'm a bit skeptical Apple spent the time they did on these bands for them to be obsolete in a year. Especially when most of them aren't $39 accessories. Plus I don't consider a watch band to be an accessory. You can't wear a watch without a band but you can use an iPhone or iPad without a case.

8. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Not a year, that's not realistic for Apple to make a decent profit from the tooling. But Apple will change the form factor, be it two years like the phone or 4 years like a Mac.

9. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Though Apple isn't a typical watch manufacturer. I doubt Rolex expect their customers to be 'upgrading' their watch every two years.

I think Apple would be stupid not to sell the watch on its own from the second version, providing of course the band mechanism stays the same.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Even if they don't, except for the Space Black Stainless Steel, you can just purchase the watch with the Sport band and carry over your older band.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Very true. The Sport band is valued at $49 so $549/599 is essentially the price of SS watch only as it costs Apple less than $2 to make the rubber band :D

12. dacreativeguy macrumors 68010

You are naive to assume that your version 1 strap would even be compatible with a version 2 watch body.

13. Mr.C macrumors 601

Personally I don't see Apple selling the watch on its own without the band in the future. I think if you want to upgrade to a new model you will need to buy it with a band. Besides if you're going to sell the previous model it stands to reason it s going to be far more saleable with a band then without.

14. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Selling watch cases without a strap, who ever heard of such a thing? It'd be completely unprescidented in the watch industry, and Apple is fairly conservative with this product despite all the innovations put into the Watch. It's not a phone, or a tiny iPad for your wrist, it's a watch first and foremost. And watches come with straps.

Also, selling you additional straps will make them more money, so don't expect them to not try to bilk you, because you would just lose on that one... ;)

15. KPOM macrumors G5

The key there will be if they decide to start selling the Space Black stainless steel watch with the Sport band in the future. Everyone else can just get the basic watch with the Sport band and pay $549/$599. I wouldn't want to have to buy a second link band if the first works just fine.

I have my eye on the Space Black, but wonder if the regular stainless steel link is the "safer" purchase for just that reason.

16. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

I would avoid the space black links regardless of if they fit future Watches or not, because they will inevitably scratch, and then they'll start looking cheap and terrible. You're going to rub them against armrests or tabletops or bang into things, and as hard as that DLC coat may be, it's not invulnerable. And when it wears off you'll have the stainless steel shining through and then that's 400 bucks down the drain as far as looks are concerned... :p

17. technosix macrumors 6502a

No it doesn't follow. Think fashion, that is the business Apple aspires to. This is a watch, and all watches are sold complete with straps or bands.

Apple is in it to make money and they're excellent at that. There's no logical reason for them to offer a money saving product when they never have, ever.

----------

DLC scratches and wears off. Stainless only scratches.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

True, but I have warm, olive skin. Black goes best (after rose gold, but I don't have an extra $16,000 :D). The black classic band would be OK but that link band looks really nice.