Buyer Beware on Ebay Phones

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by djpatrickp, Sep 10, 2010.

1. djpatrickp macrumors newbie

Bought a phone off ebay which the seller announced as "jailbroken". Ignorantly, i failed to ask him what baseband it was running thinking it was unlockable since he announced it as 4.0.1, and Jailbroken. Upon receiving the phone and attempting to unlock with Ultrasn0w was when I fell into the realization that the idiot had upgraded it to 4.0.2 (which moved the base band to 2.xx) thus rendering the phone unlockable. Lesson one: If buying from ebay, ask the seller for the baseband.

Question: I've read through several blogs and posts that it's possible to come back to the 1.59 BB by upgrading to 4.1 and then back to 4.0.2 without using the Suarick servers (if you have your SHSH blobs saved).

I've tried this every which way from Sunday. The phone had SHSH on file for 4.0.1 and 4.0.2, I can move back and forth between software version, but the BB is stuck on 2.xx.

Does anyone have a workaround for downgrading the baseband back to 1.59?

Thanks

2. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

What model iPhone ?
    For iPhone 4 then read this page. For other devices, I think it's not happening.

3. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Well, since the seller lied about the fact that the phone was jailbroken, you have 45 days to get your money back.

There was a way using TinyUmbrella to downgrade the baseband, but I read today that Apple is no longer signing 4.0.2 so if that is the case, you can no longer do that.

4. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

so are you guys saying that an iPhone 3G/3Gs upgraded to 4.0.2 is FOREVER unlockable?

5. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

3G can be jailbroken and unlocked on 4.0.2 (via Redsn0w/Ultrasn0w)
    3GS cannot

We don't know if a future jailbreak tool might also work on 4.0.2 as well as 4.1

6. Gizmotoy macrumors 65816

Gizmotoy

Did the phone arrive with 4.0.2 installed, or 4.0.1? If the guy upgraded to 4.0.2, then downgraded and jailbroke, I don't see the issue. The item was as-described: On 4.0.1 and jailbroken. Jailbroken does not imply unlocked or even unlockable. Certainly failure to check up on this is no one's fault but the OP's.

If the phone came with 4.0.2 installed, though, that's a different matter.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Send it back. Seller is a liar or an idiot.
    Maybe both:)

8. djpatrickp thread starter macrumors newbie

Baseband Downgrade

It appears, that if Apple is not signing 4.0.2 anymore than I'm SOL...!!! Have to wait for the unlock for 4.1

9. djpatrickp thread starter macrumors newbie

Is Apple Signing 4.0.2?

Can you send me a link to that article? Thanks

10. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

By your baseband versions I am assuming you are referring to an iPhone4 purchase? if so, he did not upgrade to 4.0.2, 4.0.2 has the exact same baseband version as 4.0.1. What it looks like is the person upgraded to 4.1 for a bit then downgraded to 4.0.1 and jailbroke it.

11. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

If it's about downgrading the baseband, then I already posted it in the first reply to your original post.

12. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

The point of the article is that you can use tinyumbrella to safely upgrade to 4.1 WITHOUT upgrading the baseband, and then downgrade the firmware again to say, 4.0.1 and re-jailbreak and unlock if you need to. You must have your SHSH's to downgrade of course.

You cannot under any circumstances upgrade the baseband and then downgrade it using this method. You can only protect the baseband from being upgraded in the first place...

13. dZp macrumors 6502a

dZp

^ f4780y,
    Read further down that page. ;)
    It's moot anyway now since Apple isn't signing 4.0.2 anymore.

14. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

My bad. Can't believe they allow baseband downgrade like that...

15. Block macrumors 6502a

Block

I didn't read the whole thing but buyers have very little to be wary of on ebay. If for any reason you feel that the item wasn't exactly as described, even in the slightest of details or you feel the listing was in any way deceptive, file a dispute with ebay and they will almost always side with you.

16. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

this is why I show validation before posting it on ebay. With VIDEO!!!