Buyer beware( RTX 2080 Ti ).

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DearthnVader, Oct 31, 2018.

  1. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

    DearthnVader

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2015
    Location:
    Red Springs, NC
    #1
    Before we go out and buy a RTX2080 Ti in the hopes of the Boot Screen support that has been reported to work with the 5,1 and the RTX 2080.

    https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/nvidia-rtx-2080-ti-graphics-cards-dying/

     
  2. bsbeamer macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2012
    #2
    I've read on another forum that some of these issues were with underpowered GPUs, or at least inconsistent power when needing to draw. I've not personally purchased or tried the RTX series. Also know there are MANY people trying to short their stock (another topic for another day), so reports/articles like this help their case and could be a negative PR spin for market manipulation.

    For Mac usage, NVIDIA cards are in this dark limbo stage right now anyway. Love my GTX 1080 FE and think it's an amazing GPU for MacPro5,1 with the NVIDIA Web Drivers, but until updated drivers are released any NVIDIA GPU could be an expensive door stop for most people. At the least, getting HS 10.13.6 17G3025 drivers would help keep it on life support...
     
  3. teagls macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 16, 2013
    #3
    It's a real issue. Had a 2080ti die after a couple days. NVIDIA's RMA process is fast though and really smooth. I had a replacement in about two days.
     
  4. bsbeamer macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2012
    #4
    100% believe it is a real issue for several people, but not so sure it's a widespread panic issue across the board at this time with all RTX cards. NVIDIA has always been great with RMA's for their top cards, good to see this is carrying through with the RTX series.
     
  5. MarkC426 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #5
    Read this on another forum which said....Nvidia shipping RTX gpu’s with faulty Micron memory.
     
  6. AidenShaw macrumors P6

    AidenShaw

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2003
    Location:
    The Peninsula
    #6
    Where's the link - don't spread unattributed rumours.

    And for everyone but MarkC426 - just ignore posts that say "I saw somewhere" without any links.

    These are techniques that trolls use - be critical.
     
  7. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

    DearthnVader

    Joined:
    Dec 17, 2015
    Location:
    Red Springs, NC
    #7
    Propganda, like rat poison is 95% truth, it's the other 5% that will kill you.:confused:
     
  8. MarkC426 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 14, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #8
    Apologies for the post.
    The same link as above (digital trends) was linked and the poster had an update afterwards about the ram.
    Had no reason to dis-believe it......;)
     
  9. AidenShaw macrumors P6

    AidenShaw

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2003
    Location:
    The Peninsula
    #9
    Understand - but to be honest one shouldn't expect anyone to reread the entire post and all of its links - repeat links that you think are relevant. (And it didn't see a reference to Micron in the digitaltrends link....)
     
  10. crjackson2134 macrumors 601

    crjackson2134

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2013
    Location:
    Charlotte, NC
    #10
    None needed...
     

Share This Page

9 October 31, 2018