Buyer needs help.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 115546, Jul 8, 2007.

1. 115546 macrumors newbie

I'm in need of a new laptop mainly for gameing. I was looking at the Dell XPS M1710 and wasn't really impressed with the bulid. For the price, the Macbook Pro has a bigger bang for my buck. But when it comes to gameing, Mac's arn't the key platform. I'm also into video/audio editing for my band and other things which I know Mac's are good for. There wouldn't be an issue if my games ran on Mac so I would run Vista on it along with OS X. If thats possible. The Dell XPS also comes with a GeForce 7950GTX when the MacBook Pro comes with a 8600m. What do you guys think? Also, can you run Vista on a Mac?

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, Boot Camp supports Windows Vista (although you may want to wait until October for the release of Leopard, if possible).

3. 115546 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yay, and yes. I won't be getting it until October/September. What is the advantage?

4. thebrain74 macrumors regular

Bootcamp is still in Beta right now. An improved, updated, unbeta version (quite possibly with new features, better usability) will ship with Leopard. But it appears that even if you use the beta bootcamp it will still work with leopard, it won't get deleted or anything.

I would deffinately look into a dual booted MBP over the Dell XPS, I have a MBP and the build quality is very nice, and with the new graphics cards, I imagine iit wouldbe pretty decent in windows game performance.

5. 115546 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. I really like Apple products but I guess I was always under the influence of my friends that Mac was evil. Which is not true. It just works when I cant even get quicktime to load on Vista.

6. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

An advantage for the Macbook Pro video card is that it is a DirectX 10 compliant card. So as games for Vista appear as DX 10 only the Macbook will be superior to that 7950GTX.

I do not know if the 7000 series are DX 10 capable. As I recall when DX 9 was released the NVidia 5000 were not built for DX 9, they still worked just with MASSIVE performance losses. So that 7950 may work with DX 10 it would just get swamped by the 8600 since the GPU is not optimized for DX 10.

In DX9 games though that 8600 appears to suffer a 25-33% performance drop from the 7950.