Buyer Reversal: MacBook Pro 2018

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sockdoggy, Jun 6, 2019.

1. sockdoggy, Jun 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2019

sockdoggy macrumors regular

So I’ve been out of the Craigslist game for a while and can’t help but think I was involved in a bad sales transaction a few minutes ago.

We agreed on Venmo (I’ve read NOT to use it since for selling to strangers) and I’m 100% sure the buyer is going to reverse his payment. He paid when he was around the corner (before seeing the laptop). His Venmo account is new without profile pic. He didn’t seem to care about specs or inspecting. Etc.

We set up a new admin account and deleted my admin account. However I didn’t turn off Find My Mac. I didn’t sign out of iCloud directly. But I’m not 100% sure how this works.

The 2018 MacBook Pro is still listed in Find My and currently offline. I’ve enabled Notify When Found.

I’d be grateful for any advice...

Should I hit the lock button on Find My as well?

2. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

You're going to lock the system because you think he might reverse the payment?
    Or he actually has reversed the payment? You don't seem to indicate that he has.

3. sockdoggy, Jun 6, 2019

sockdoggy thread starter macrumors regular

He hasn’t reversed the payment yet. Given the circumstances around the transaction, I feel like I’d be completely naive to think he won’t.

I’ve just now Locked the computer in Find My and put the message iCloud Lock the next time it connects to the internet.

My thinking is I can take the lock off once Venmo has cleared. And if Venmo bounces, I will give serial number and location to the police.

4. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

Why do people do this? Venmo isn't aimed at paying for stuff and is focused on paying people you know... Now you're scared you may lose the money and the laptop when you did a sketchy transaction, but nothing has even happened?

If you are doing craigslist transactions just stick to cash. Anything else and you're risking blowback which on high priced items is probably higher than you or I think. If you're scared about being robbed then do the transaction at the police station.

Or just trade it in to Apple next time if you can't handle it...

5. sockdoggy thread starter macrumors regular

I absolutely shouldn't have done it!!

I've heard of people transacting in fake bills which is why I went with Venmo. As I said, I've been out of the Craigslist game for a while and really was just not thinking until the transaction went down and it felt really off.

6. liftedpsd2010 macrumors regular

If you sold me a laptop and then locked it because you thought I was going to reverse the payment I’d reverse the payment and throw the laptop away. How can you lock a laptop that was paid for.

7. sockdoggy thread starter macrumors regular

That's why I'm going with 'iCloud Lock' as the message. If payment clears, then it will be turned off immediately. The problem is Venmo can be reversed (as I've learned post-transaction).

I'm not even sure the computer will lock as I mentioned in the original post. Does anyone know?

8. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

There is always risks with doing any transaction. If you're worried about fake bills then examine the money when it is given to you to be sure it isn't fake.

You should know what a real bill looks like since you can get fake bills from a store as change if they didn't catch it...

If you don't know the security features you should get to know them: https://www.uscurrency.gov/denominations

But it is a bad move to lock the device before anything has gone wrong. As the buyer will now feel that you are the shady character. Which is why I'm recommending you just go with the "easy" routes like trading into Apple. That way you don't have any risks at all.

9. liftedpsd2010 macrumors regular

You should of told the buyer this when you met with him. Not after you shook hands and hours after the transaction. Shame on you. I’m just saying if you did this to me I’d reverse it no matter what the message says.

10. Howard2k macrumors 68020

Howard2k

I would just call the dude and explain it. Or is that a crazy idea?

11. sockdoggy thread starter macrumors regular

This is the advice I'm looking for...

I'll be notified if and when it connects to the internet (but again, will it?). At that point I can call him and will be honest - I got spooked after I read Venmo wasn't the medium to use for Craigslist and wanted to protect myself in a worst case scenario, and apologize for the inconvenience.

12. Queen6, Jun 6, 2019

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Guilty until proven innocent. I get the OP's concerns, equally this is a very poor way to handle the matter. If I was the new owner I'd be very far from happy given the situation. As other members stated the guy might just reverse the charge as the MBP being iCloud locked is little more than a paperweight, I would. First thing that would spring to mind would be that there is something off with the sellers ownership.

As recommended the OP should contact the new owner ASAP before things escalate.

Q-6

13. burgman macrumors 68000

burgman

That you would expect a honest stranger not to reverse a payment if the device is locked is beyond me. You might get a surprise after contacting the police, both of you have a case, good luck with that.

14. sockdoggy thread starter macrumors regular

Users can’t reverse a Venmo payment but Venmo will reverse if it’s fraudulent.

Please keep in mind that laptop still hasn’t been locked. It’s pending. According to iCloud it hasn’t connected to the internet. Again, will this Lock request actually be accepted? Any help here would be appreciated.

In any normal circumstance I would absolutely not do this and agree with you guys. However, no detail of our interaction was as such.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2019 ---
    Am also happy to turn off the Lock request if that makes the most sense.

That way if payment is fraudulent and fails, they may use or resell it - ie someone will still be on the internet and I can attempt to recover with the police.

Trying to ascertain if I will still be able to see it in Find My should another user log into iCloud, etc.

15. LogicalApex macrumors 6502

That's why I've recommended cash only. When you're dealing with any of the modern bank related transaction medium there is always risk the money can be clawed back. People are commonly scammed as they think that the world is instant now that technology companies have made it appear as such. The banking world is still very far from instant and very slow.

Just because you get the money from a Venmo transaction and it fully clears doesn't mean Venmo can't come back 60 or 90 days or longer later and take that money back saying the transaction was reported as fraudulent or something else. This is true for all of them as banks will often send the money first then come back later due to the long settlement times.

This is why you should never let me say it again never use anything but cash for anonymous transactions.

16. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

This is why Craigslist is a last resort. If you felt anything was funny at the time of the transaction....say you aren’t comfortable with the transaction and walk away.

I would call Venmo and confirm whether or not the transaction could very easily be reversed. I would absolutely be proactive and call the guy before he turns it on and finds out the way YOU wouldn’t want to find out after having paid for an item.

Very bad way to do business both ways.

17. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

Honestly if I purchased a Macbook, turned it on, and it was locked, I wouldn't throw it in the trash. If this sale is legit the first thing this person is going to do is contact the OP and ask what the deal was and how to turn it off. If he doesn't contact the OP then its pretty likely its a shady deal as he knows he's busted.

OP I don't see anything wrong with what you did and if the buyer is legit he'll get in touch with you and find out how to fix the problem.