Buyer trying to get Apple ID Password

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by guymarble, Nov 15, 2013.

1. guymarble macrumors member

Hi, I sold my iPhone 5 on eBay last year which I had bought unlocked from Apple. I have just received an ebay message from the buyer saying the following:

"Hello mate, I purchased the above handset from you on 16/12/2012, Today I tried a new simcard in the handset from which i get an message detailing for me to "activate phone" using the Original owners logg in details (D*****@me.com).

I called Apple care and was told that i would need to get in contact with you as it wouldve been your logg in details and password to activate "Find My Phone" app."

First of all, my email address the Apple ID is linked to is not @me.com and the @me address I do have doesn't start with a D.

Secondly, I had erased the iPhone before I sent it off so shouldn't everything of been erased?

Thirdly, WTF this has never happened when I have put in a new SIM card
    :confused: So what I'm wondering is is this some poor attempt to get my password?? Or is this a genuine thing?

2. LittleConrad macrumors newbie

Sounds like a phishing attempt to get your info. Since you don't have a D*****@me.com account, tell him so plainly, but do not accuse of scamming. That account information may have come from something on the SIM card (excuse my lack of familiarity).

DO NOT "help" him with a password. Contact :apple: to make sure that his claims square with what should be normal after the phone is "wiped," if it was truly zeroed out.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Just ignore it.

The 45 days of buyer protection are up. You've done your part already.

4. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

If it was 'wiped', it should come up needing to be 'activated' and HE would have to enter HIS Apple ID and the phone would be 'his' after... There is no need to get your password, unless the guy is a total dork and can't find his butt without your money...:eek: It sounds fishy...

5. LittleConrad macrumors newbie

I think you meant to reply to the original, not to my post, but I really like that "can't find his butt" image. Haha. :) That's a good good one--never heard it before.

6. MEJHarrison macrumors 6502a

If you sold it to him last year, that would have been before the activation lock. So it shouldn't be your information needed to unlock it. Sounds like a scam to me, but I'd be open minded. It's possible there's a reasonable explanation. Just don't give up your password!

7. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 68040

PinkyMacGodess

[Sorry. Haste makes waste]

If it was 'wiped', it should come up needing to be 'activated' and HE would have to enter HIS Apple ID and the phone would be 'his' after... There is no need to get your password, unless the guy is a total dork and can't find his butt without your money... It sounds fishy...

8. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

If you used the erase all content and settings option, there is no way it would need your password. I sold my 4 to my best friend (who I would give my password to if she needed it) and she's never had to ask for it.

9. guymarble thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies :) I said to him that it wasn't my email address and that I would go to apple to find out about it, but don't think I'm going to even bother.

He has replied with this:

"Lol It's ok I don't need your password, could you please go into your "find my iphone" app and disconnect my iphone please"

Even though he said the first time he needed my password...Seems like he's taking dumb to a whole new level!

10. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Seems legit at least he could see what was needed in the end.

Can't advise how to remove the device from find my phone tho!

11. maliu macrumors 6502a

That part is easy. Open up the find my phone app and look at the devices list. If your old phone is still listed, delete it. I had to do that when I gave my daughter my old phone.

12. guymarble thread starter macrumors member

Just tried that but the only things it shows on the device list are my current iOS devices :confused:

13. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

One year and THEN decides to make a move?

Something's up.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That doesn't make sense.
    A year ago that activation lock feature wasn't available and since its not listed in your icloud devices then not sure what he's talking about.

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

He probably upgraded to iOS 7 and maybe the iPhone got confused and still thinks it's connected with the OP's account? But that would only make sense if the buyer never entered his Apple ID info (which is very unlikely).

EDIT: just read the OP's response about it not showing up in their devices list. Weird then that the seller says this is the case.

16. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

You can always log into your Apple account online and check to be sure that device isn't still associated with your Apple ID in any manner. If so, disassociate it. That's the final place to check. After checking that, he's no concern of yours.

17. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

As mentioned above, if the buyer of the device never wiped the phone before installing iOS 7 then Activation Lock would apply.

Also as mentioned above, the "correct" way to remove activation lock on a device that you don't have any more is to remove the device from Find My iPhone, but that doesn't seem to be working here...

18. guymarble thread starter macrumors member

I have just checked the devices listed on the "manage devices" page on my apple account and there was another phone listed but it said it was first associated in 2011....so it couldn't of been the one i sold to him as it wasn't even out then. He is still persisting that I need to remove the phone despite me telling him I can't :confused:

Thank you for all the replies :)

19. lelisa13p macrumors 68000

lelisa13p

Is the iPhone from 2011 still in your possession or used by a family member? If not, disassociate that one in order to avoid this type of trouble there. Regarding the complainer's iPhone, tell him that you've checked every possible option and the iPhone is no longer associated with your account whatsoever. Tell him that the problem is on his end and there is nothing more that you can do. Wish him luck and then ignore him.

20. guymarble thread starter macrumors member

Yea sold that one but didn't have any bother with it, I've disassociated it now tho :p. told him that it wasn't showing up and he replied saying it was no bother and thanked me for my trouble so looks like this is the last of it :)

21. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

It's an unnecessary risk that I personally would not get involved in.

22. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

What risk? :confused:

You shouldn't give anyone your password, but there are several things that the seller of a device can do to solve these sorts of problems (like removing the device from "Find My iPhone").

23. dave420 macrumors 65816

Yea this case the buyer was probably just mistaken as to whose account was in there. They probably let someone else sync there phone at some point. I thought there were additional checks to verify the password when upgrading to iOS 7, but there have been a few posts here of people who have had trouble with an old account popping up.