Buyer's concern

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by azRieLThaNe, Mar 12, 2012.

1. azRieLThaNe macrumors newbie

Hey there guys! Well, here's the issue:

I'll be buying the baseline iMac before the week is over. (I can't wait anymore...and I need it) The thing is, I can buy it from the local Apple authorized reseller or my usual computer store. BTW, I live in the Philippines.

the Apple reseller sells the iMac ar Php60,990 , if I pay cash, Php60,000 ($1 = Php42.30...its about $200 more expensive compared to US prices, import tax and shipping crap)

The other store sells it at the same price, but since I'm a loyal customer, the owner can give it to me at Php 58,000. (about a $50 difference, but that's already huge for me!).

I've read several threads about refurb iMacs in the market, what I'm most concerned about is how do I figure out if the iMac I'm getting (from the other store) is brand new or a refurb? Would it be better if I purchase my iMac at the authorized reseller?

Any input you guys and gals might have would be very much appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's always better to purchase a Mac from an authorized reseller.

3. azRieLThaNe thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, but I'm also looking into saving some cash. How would I be able to tell if an iMac is new or a refurb?

4. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You wouldn't. Apple packages these things differently on refurbs, but that doesn't mean they couldn't do the same anyway. The refurbs from Apple seem to be the same as a new computer. Many of them are returns as they can't be sold as new once they're returned. You're worrying too much about this, but in terms of an authorized refurbished unit as in refurbished by Apple, you wouldn't find those elsewhere for less, as that would give the retailer too low of a profit margin to be sustainable. Apple seems to handle their own refurbished units directly.

5. azRieLThaNe thread starter macrumors newbie

I see, but how is it that the other store can provide it at a lesser price than the authorized reseller can? not just here but I also noticed that other stores (online and all).

6. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

$50 isn't a big difference. I suggested that I don't believe Apple wholesales their refurb units. This means they'd have to purchase a refurb at Apple refurb pricing, then mark it up to new retail pricing from refurb pricing as opposed to wholesale pricing. If you don't buy it from an authorized reseller, you don't know what you're buying. There is no true 100% guarantee of authenticity. Here even among authorized resellers prices do flucuate a bit. You're calling $50 a big difference, but it's a very small percentage of the machine price.